Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
2015 V Star 950, 2013 Suzuki S40
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always wanted to ask this, both of my bikes have a flange in the gank that you put the pump nozzle into, about 1.5 inches below the gas cap. When filling up, the pump shuts off once the fill level reaches the flange. I usually try to fill up more, but that requires pumping slowly not to spill the gas. Some pump allow slower pumping than others. I wanted to know, is this the correct procedure to fill up, or should I not be pumping over the flange?

Registered
The book says to stop at bottom of the flange.
Me personally I fill it halfway up the fill tube. The book says it's wrong, but sometimes I forget things I read.
It is up to you , by the book or however you want to do it. It's your motorcycle.

Registered
2015 V Star 950, 2013 Suzuki S40
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, thats more or less what I do, I need to measure it, but its probably a good extra 1/4 gallon that you can put in past the flange.

Registered
'18 SVTC
Most pump auto shut offs leave me one gallon short of a full tank. With a 6.3 gallon tank I guess that's not a big deal, but I prefer to minimizing stopping, so I continue to slow fill it to lip lapping almost overflowing. That is much easier now that I haven't had to deal with the evil vacuum vapor recovery boot nozzle that has to be retracted either by fully inserting the dispenser nozzle or manually pulling the boot back to satisfy the interlock. Those may still exist somewhere, but it's been years since I've had to deal with one of those devils.

Tool Auto part Font Bicycle part Audio equipment

Registered
One thing if you had a bike with a carb like the 650 or 1100 it has a vented cap and if the fuel warms up and expands it can spew out of the vented tank. I am assuming that injected tanks don't have a vented cap. So i never fill above the bottom of the tube unless i will be going on a ride.
Grey Wood Font Twig Electric blue

Premium Member
We're supposed to put gas in the tank??!! Now ya tell me.......

The first time I tried to fill the tank I had gas splashing everywhere and I just got 3/4s of a gallon in before I gave up. Went back to the station with a gallon gas can and used that to put gas in the tank. I then searched this site and found some old threads on this problem. Now I know what to do.

Registered
It depends on whether I am going riding or home when i put motion lotion in the tank; on whether or not I fill the flange or not.
I tend to fill up into the flange.

NOW A DIFFERENT GAS FILLING QUESTION...

In states that don't allow you to put gas in your own vehicle. Those who have gotten gas in those states, like New Jersey & Oregon
What have my fellow bikers done?

Ride Smart. Ride Often.

Registered
I usually fuel up at the end of a ride so I'm ready next time - then I just fill to the top and let it settle - it drops back to just above the filler base - then don't have to worry about expansion in the daytime heat.

If I'm riding - I fuel to max taking my time to let the air bleed out of the tank and take more fuel - then it's on the road and burn off that extra 1/4 gallon (1 liter) before heat expansion has it flowing back up the filler neck.

Registered
2009 650 classic white
In states that don't allow you to put gas in your own vehicle. Those who have gotten gas in those states, like New Jersey & Oregon
In Oregon, when you pull up to the pump, they turn the pump on for you and hand you the nozzle so you fill it yourself. I think they have been told not to touch the bike.

Registered
'18 SVTC
It depends on whether I am going riding or home when i put motion lotion in the tank; on whether or not I fill the flange or not.

Ride Smart. Ride Often.
About a year I passed through eastern Oregon and stopped for gas. The law there had changed recently so that stations in lower population cities (or counties?) can be self serve. Without thinking about it I pulled into the Sinclair station, started the refueling process and noticed a guy with a Sinclair uniform running around between the pumps from customer to customer. It took me a minute to realize he was probably the (ex) pump jockey that managed to keep his job but now didn't really have anything to do. He eventually stopped by my pump, kind of watched me for a minute and I guess he decided I was doing OK so he moved on. Nice guy, but he seemed a little out of sorts with all these strangers handling "his" pumps.

Registered
In Oregon, when you pull up to the pump, they turn the pump on for you and hand you the nozzle so you fill it yourself. I think they have been told not to touch the bike.
I was wondering the same thing. I'd HATE for some inexperienced kid to be spilling fuel all over.

My Warrior only has a total of 3.8 gallons with reserve (light on after 3 gallons) so filling it up as much as possible is almost required. Years ago, a bunch of guys would punch a ring of holes around the top of the flange* to allow the air to purge from the top of the tank more efficiently. I've chosen not to do that but the ones that have swear by it. I don't do long enough rides for it to make THAT much of a difference so I fill to just over the bottom of the flange. If mileage was really an issue, I'd use proper throttle and speed control or get a different bike. ;)

*DISCLAIMER: IF YOU DO THIS, ONLY USE A BRASS PUNCH TO PREVENT SPARKS. EVEN BETTER, FILL YOUR TANK WITH WATER BEFORE DOING IT JUST TO ELIMINATE ANY POTENTIAL FOR CATESTROPHIC, UNSCHEDULED DISASSEMBLY OF YOUR TANK.

Registered
2014 V Star 1300 Tourer
I did the hole punch mod on my 1300 with a sharpened steel punch, the holes were made with the fuel tank full to the rim so that the punch was underneath the liquid portion of the gasoline. Still it鈥檚 a little unnerving, but I would do again as my range increased an extra 30 or so miles, which was important to me when traveling with others on long road trips. I would only fill it to the top when we were ready to roll, because if you leave it on your kickstand after topping off it will run out of your vent.

Registered

Ride Smart. Ride Often.
When I am riding in NJ and gas up there I get off the bike and let him know that he will NOT be filling my bike, I will!! Not happening!! LOL

Registered
Most pump auto shut offs leave me one gallon short of a full tank. With a 6.3 gallon tank I guess that's not a big deal, but I prefer to minimizing stopping, so I continue to slow fill it to lip lapping almost overflowing. That is much easier now that I haven't had to deal with the evil vacuum vapor recovery boot nozzle that has to be retracted either by fully inserting the dispenser nozzle or manually pulling the boot back to satisfy the interlock. Those may still exist somewhere, but it's been years since I've had to deal with one of those devils.

View attachment 117186
These are the majority. If not all, of the pumps in California.

Registered
I did the hole punch mod on my 1300 with a sharpened steel punch, the holes were made with the fuel tank full to the rim so that the punch was underneath the liquid portion of the gasoline. Still it鈥檚 a little unnerving, but I would do again as my range increased an extra 30 or so miles, which was important to me when traveling with others on long road trips. I would only fill it to the top when we were ready to roll, because if you leave it on your kickstand after topping off it will run out of your vent.
Always wanted to ask this, both of my bikes have a flange in the gank that you put the pump nozzle into, about 1.5 inches below the gas cap. When filling up, the pump shuts off once the fill level reaches the flange. I usually try to fill up more, but that requires pumping slowly not to spill the gas. Some pump allow slower pumping than others. I wanted to know, is this the correct procedure to fill up, or should I not be pumping over the flange?

Registered
My '74 RD350 just has a large gaping hole up top. 馃ぃ I've learned to be VERY ginger with the lever, since once that fuel touches the very top of the tank, you've got .00001 seconds to release the lever before fuel streams over every square inch of the tank paint. Has to be filled while sitting on the bike, keeping it dead level, and you can't go park and shoot the crap after doing this, or it'll purge a half gallon of fuel out the top and onto the ground.

Just this Sunday I came about 0.1mm from spilling fuel all over the tank. I gave it a gentle shake to get the air bubbles out. That was enough to close the cap without purging fuel.

Reason I do this is because my absolute MAX range, using every drop of fuel in each side of the tank, is 115 miles. Getting to 115 means I've been on reserve since 75-80 miles, and I've stopped several times to tip the bike to the left, to get any fuel from the right side of the tank into the left side (I need to come up with a better plumbing setup underneath to keep the right side from remaining half full), and running it on full choke until the engine can't go another yard. That's only happened once. A guy mowing his lawn gave me a couple gallons of stale premix to get me to the gas station ... which was just 1 FRIGGIN MILE up the road! That's my luck for ya ... :cautious:

Reactions: torinogt

Registered
2007 VStar 1300

Ride Smart. Ride Often.
The times I've filled up in Jersey the attendant hit the selected button for the gas I wanted, put the nozzle in the tank, and said "Go ahead and fill it up, I'll re-hang the nozzle."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts