Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2000 Vstar 650 to use as a parts bike. When I took off the final drive gear I noticed that the drive shaft that attaches to the coupler could be wiggled back with some noticeable play. Is this normal? The gear oil looked clean and all splines were in good shape.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To clarify, the play didnt seem like it was coming from the shaft or coupler but farther down the line inside the main housing on the final drive gear.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Not sure how to test this without taking another bike apart.

I just looked at my VS650. I can grab the drive shaft between the engine and the back wheel, and with a bit of force it moves back about a quarter inch. Feels like it spring loaded, returns to the forward position when I stop pulling it back.

Dont know if that helps. Spline shafts dont have to be tight to be engaged.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is a spring in the end of the drive shaft to keep forward tension on the shaft. There shouldn't be any radial play only staight forward and back.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
There is a spring in the end of the drive shaft to keep forward tension on the shaft. There shouldn't be any radial play only staight forward and back.
there is a damper at the primary drive that allows some radial play and then there's back lash in the gears in the final drive and a small amount between the coupler and the shaft, as far as plunging in and out it has to be able to do that because of the suspension, if it was rigid in ether radial or lateral movement the bike would be jerky when you shift and suspension would cause the shaft to smash into the final drive when compressing

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thanks for the input. Please watch the below video for a better explanation of the shaft movement.

https://youtu.be/EqcigjCAAaQ
pack the coulper with moly paste and you should be good to go, if you put a small mark on the shaft at the dust seal you'll see it slide under the seal when you compress the suspension by sitting on the bike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts