Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm afraid to even ask this but I would like some other input.
The video below was made by someone with the exact problem I'm having.
I haven't had any real issues out of this bike until today
I did notice slipping when I got on it hard in 3rd last week but I rode it last weekend without any issues.
Today was the first day riding since then, pulled out of the driveway fine and then it just let go.
I would love to hear it's something simple or suggestions on things to check.
I'm not a mechanic but I can do some basic things.

https://youtu.be/2NyQwVuHDI4

Thanks in advance for any info you can give.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I can put it in first and roll it and I hear it clicking, the drive shaft isn't rotating, it actually moves forward a little each time it clicks almost like it's popping out of gear.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like I'll probably end up selling it off for parts, the bike and it has 42,000+ on it.
I would need someone more mechanical than me to fix it so it'll be hard to justify putting that much into it.
Thanks for the info, that's what I thought the issue was going to be.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sounds like I'll probably end up selling it off for parts, the bike and it has 42,000+ on it.

I would need someone more mechanical than me to fix it so it'll be hard to justify putting that much into it.

Thanks for the info, that's what I thought the issue was going to be.

Is it a 650 or 1100?
I have a complete final drive for a 1100 with just 7K miles on it I can let go for real cheap ! I mean CHEAP! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Most probably the splines in the drive shaft to final drive failed from lack of lubrication, not the drive itself but the result is the same, I believe the parts aren't available separately anyway. This is why it's important to lube them every tire change at the very least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Most probably the splines in the drive shaft to final drive failed from lack of lubrication, not the drive itself but the result is the same, I believe the parts aren't available separately anyway. This is why it's important to lube them every tire change at the very least.

DITTO! Have not been on here for awhile, but as I recall; the drive shaft to rear end connection was a poor design for keeping water out. Therefore, rust & lack of lube will kill the splines on the drive shaft; rear end shaft & the coupling, over time. The rear end shaft is not removable (I believe) so...$$. Look for used, with good splines & use waterproof grease.
Wife's 650 was not too far gone so a new coupling is working. Yamaha should have made a point about REGULAR lubing being a MUST!
If you can remove a rear tire & turn wrenches, it's not terribly difficult. Check owners manual for tire removal & get a shop manual like "Clymer".

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going to try and fix it myself, I just need to get a lift so I can get the back tire off the ground.
This is my first bike and I thought the final drive oil took care of everything.
I'm going to get it apart first and that will tell me how bad it actually is.
I would be happy if it's something like the coupling only. :)
It just surprised me because I haven't had the first bit of trouble from it.
Live and learn I guess.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
This surprises many. As I recall, rear fender must be raised or removed (on Classic), check owners manual. I think I've used an auto scissor jack towards the rear. Wood blocks under frame with weight biased towards front, to stabilize. Take your time, good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This surprises many. As I recall, rear fender must be raised or removed (on Classic), check owners manual. I think I've used an auto scissor jack towards the rear. Wood blocks under frame with weight biased towards front, to stabilize. Take your time, good luck.

Nope, the fender can stay, jack it high enough and the wheel fits out. If you have bags they have to come off.
Good info here, how to, maintenance, shaft lube.
http://www.650ccnd.com

1 - 20 of 43 Posts