Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of Final Drive oil for my 08 V star 650??????

The manual suys SAE 80 API GL4 Hypoid gear oil ....... which is almost non existent

Can I use GL5? (I hear about it harming brass parts)
Can I use multi viscosity stuff?
What does Hypoid Mean?

Thank you and my head hurts.....

·
Registered
179 Posts
What kind of Final Drive oil for my 08 V star 650??????

The manual suys SAE 80 API GL4 Hypoid gear oil ....... which is almost non existent

Can I use GL5? (I hear about it harming brass parts)
Can I use multi viscosity stuff?
What does Hypoid Mean?

Thank you and my head hurts.....
I was wondering the same thing for my 1100 classic. I just popped into the Yamaha dealer one day while out on the scoot. They had plenty there. As to what is compatible on the aftermarket I really dont know but heck, the rear end only takes a few ounces of oil...maybe 8 ounces if that? I forget now but its a cheap and easy maintenance item. Go to your dealer and buy a few tubes you'll be all set for as long as you keep the scoot.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hypoid is a fancy way of saying the gears mesh multiple teeth becuase the pinion and ring gear angle are not centered. Any good quality gear oil is fine multi viscosity is fine and long as it's 80w xxx. I use royal purple 80w 145 have been since my bike hit 500 miles 1qt bottle will last a very long time since this area is. It serviced very often

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My local dealer had Pro Honda brand Hypoid gear oil 80w90. Bottle says its safe for all shaft drive bikes.

·
Registered
307 Posts
By the way, easiest fluid change you'll ever do, remove drain bolt 17mm I think and drain. Replace drain bolt, remove fill bolt (same size, 17mm), fill till oil touches threads, return filler bolt.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
179 Posts
Your bike will probably blow up tomorrow morning at approx 7:30 am. Why you ask? Because thats not the oil recommended by yammahoo.

Of course I am just messin with ya and one more thing...have a great weekend and lets ride as soon as the weather becomes less ignorant !

·
Registered
332 Posts
Your bike will probably blow up tomorrow morning at approx 7:30 am. Why you ask? Because thats not the oil recommended by yammahoo.

Of course I am just messin with ya and one more thing...have a great weekend and lets ride as soon as the weather becomes less ignorant !
Great. Sounds like my bikes are gonna blow up too. Wish I would have read this before I started using the Mobil One synthetic gear oil. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going with the mobil 1 synthetic 75w90.......amzon order made....

I know its easy to change this stuff and it occurs to me that it has taken me more time looking for the oil than it will to change the oil.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Ut oh, That means the Redline 75 w90 I put in my stars rear gear case could cause a blow up any minute...

Thankfully I have a crutch in case of emergency. Just like in the Cartoons. HaHa ;):):D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts