Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post so please bear with me. Tonight a friend of mine discovered the cause of the noise my '06 1100 v-star was making. The final drive couplling shaft to the u-joint at the engine end was sheared. The nut and washer were unattached to the shaft as it had sheared off. The bike was rideable, however it was making a loud noise as soon as you left off of the gas, once you gave it gas the noise went away. We will continue with the fix now that we know where the noise was coming from. Perhaps there is enough thread left on the shaft to reattach the nut without the washer. Has any one else experienced this issue. My bike only has 30,000 miles on it and has never been ridden hard.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Final Drive

Thanks Nick57 your response was spot on. We were able to get the shaft extracted from the nut. The shaft had 2 to 3 threads left on it that we were able to use after discarding the thick washer. Once we put the nut back on we drilled and tapped the shaft in order to put an additional bolt and washer onto the shaft. We secured these with blue loctite. This fix cost us nothing in parts. Thanks for the response. Back on the road again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That actually sounds like whats going on with my 650. I will be looking into that. As for my 1100 its fine. thanks for the info. it could come in handy! I hope its not too bad but we'll see!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts