Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,509 Posts
I don't. I do wear mesh gloves during summer months.

·
Registered
447 Posts
When I was younger I always road with fingerless gloves, they added the needed protection to the palm of my hands but still let me grip with my fingers. I only used full gloves when it was cold out. I didn't like the feel of gloves at all back then, they made the handles feel sloppy to me. Also my normal riding gear was a helmet, boots and fingerless gloves, and for cold weather, leather jacket and leather gloves.

Now i'm always full gauntlet gloves.

·
Registered
609 Posts
In the past I wore them in the summer: appeal was a combination of coolness (temperature-wise, I mean, not 'image') and increased dexterity.

That was 30-(mumble) years ago before we had the options we do today. These days I wear mesh in summer.

Are they less protective than full gloves? Of course. But with palms-and-knuckles still protected, I can see where folks feel it's a reasonable trade-off.

Another thought: Is it better to wear good well-armored fingerless gloves vs 'full' gloves made out of thin leather and some cotton liner?

Given that I'm of the "ride helmet-less in your boxers, sandals and t-shirt if you so choose, it's not my place to 'nanny' what you do" school, I'd sooner see fingerless than none.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I do wear them on really hot summer days, but when the bugs hit the unprotected part is can sting a bit...

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
If you fall off your motorcycle.... let me rephrase that.

IF you fall (anywhere anytime) do not put your arms and hands out. You will break your wrists.

Look at an X ray of an adult arm and wrist. There are two bones the size of pencils right behind your hand.

If you do not stick you arms out to break your fall, your fingers will not hit the pavement with your full weight on them.

https://www.wikihow.com/Fall-Safely

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you fall off your motorcycle.... let me rephrase that.

IF you fall (anywhere anytime) do not put your arms and hands out. You will break your wrists.

Look at an X ray of an adult arm and wrist. There are two bones the size of pencils right behind your hand.

If you do not stick you arms out to break your fall, your fingers will not hit the pavement with your full weight on them.

https://www.wikihow.com/Fall-Safely
Funny thing is that as I read this post I thought about how I am more concerned about who is seeing me fall. I mean I must be because I get up and look to see who was watching. Why do we do that? Also have been told that as I get older I seem to fall in slow motion and that it takes me longer to fall. The why does it hurt more?

On the finger less gloves I wear the gloves all year for sun protection as I do long sleeves. I like the finger less gloves because they give me the ability to do whatever I need to do without taking gloves off every time such as fill up at gas pump, change radio station, adjust clothing etc.
These are the ones I like
https://shop.olympiagloves.com/collections/mens-motorcycle-gloves/products/757-air-force-fingerless-gel

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
... Make sure and break your fall with your face, NOT YOUR HANDS AND ARMS. ...
Now everytime I read your posts I will have a mental image of you looking like Mr Potato Head riding a motorcycle with no helmet - Nothing but a giant face with arms.... LOL

click on the link - https://www.wikihow.com/Fall-Safely

Its a real problem, esp for older people.

I know several people that have broken their wrists from a simple fall - one broke her left wrist, and then broke her right wrist a year later.

This is something we should be teaching kids in school, like learning how to swim. Instead of having kids play dodge ball, everyone should take a class in gymnastics on pads or trampolines, or whatever it is they teach kids on the football team that allows them to dive through the air, land on the ground, and get up and walk back for the next play.

but the point regarding the gloves, if you make a fist with your hands, and pull your arms and hands up to protect your head and ribs, your fingers are not going to touch the ground if you fall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts