Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of cast wheels for $125 from a guy who took them off his bike a number of years ago. Had a few questions if you’ve all got some thoughts.

I assume these were clear coated at the OEM, and that what is show in the picture is just the clear breaking down (I am sure these are not cracks in the aluminum). Is there a way to buff or polish these out?

Alternatively, I am thinking about having the wheels painted or powdercoated. I assume powdercoating is more durable, but does anyone have experience with either, particularly on the lip with the normal process of replacing tires?

If powdercoated, do the bearings need to be removed? If they’re removed, should the bearings and seals be replaced (the wheels had been sitting in his garage unused for a few years)?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I can answer some of your questions. What you are seeing in surface corrosion on the aluminium ender the clear coat. It can be buffed out but you will need to recoat the wheel if you do so. Powder coating them in the same scheme would eventually give the same result unfortunately. I've seen a shop that chromes the wheels. They look great, if you're into chrome that is ;). And finally, if you do go the powder coat way or repaint, it would be a good idea to chnage out all the bearings and seals.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ Thank you! That helps a lot. Regarding removing buffing out the surface corrosion, do you have any tips? Should I wet sand, then buff then re-clear. Or is there a particular product for buffing you'd recommend?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I would start with dry 400 grit to get the clear coat off then wet sand starting with 400 going up to 1200 or 1600 depending on the shine you want. After that a good aluminium buffing compound and clear coat. The secret here is take your time and don't apply to much pressure during the sanding phase. Don't cheap out on the sanding paper either. Get more rather than less and keep it clean.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect, thank you again.

I just stripped and re-cleared some carbon fiber on my car's spoiler, so I've got grit from 200 to 2000 and some recent practice in patience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts