Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I’d like to give credit where it’s due. Many thanks to not only the creator of this forum but most likely you, the one reading this, for your time and contributions as well. Pages like this provide such a wealth of knowledge and experience, and are a most excellent asset to possess. Most especially when dealing with the kinks and problems that comes with ownership of these bikes.

Coming in hot! My name is Wes, I’m a commercial fisherman by trade here in Florida. I just purchased my first bike this week, one of my grandads bikes that I grew up on for many years prior. He was in a spot for cash, and I was in a predicament for a ride so we came up with a compromise. It seems as though I’ll be thoroughly going through this 1999 V-Star 650. So maybe I can return the favor and contribute my progress to the group, bringing this bike out of the ashes. Quite literally. Yeah, yesterday it caught on fire. Backfired out of the carbs I didn’t realize it was flooded, kept trying to crank it, and now I’m left with some tough choices and purchases to make. Anyone with some advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I’ll follow up with a post of few in the proper discussion pages. If you care to check up or speak up that’d be awesome. Y’all be safe & carry a fire extinguisher. It can happen to anyone.

3FFBAD86-008C-402F-9667-153EA784CBBA.png

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,891 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Sorry for your bike catching fire. When you start a thread in Vstar section with concerns you will get some good feedback. One thing for sure, you look a lot calmer than I would be. Here's a few intesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt

Ride often and safe.

Reactions: GARider

·
Super Moderator
3,548 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.

·
Premium Member
2007 V-Star 650 Classic, 2003 V-Star 1100 Custom
92 Posts
Welcome from about 45 miles east of Yamaha Pat in Placerville Ca. I agree about the fire extinguisher. Water isn't the best option for a fire like that. :oops:

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
726 Posts
First off, I’d like to give credit where it’s due. Many thanks to not only the creator of this forum but most likely you, the one reading this, for your time and contributions as well. Pages like this provide such a wealth of knowledge and experience, and are a most excellent asset to possess. Most especially when dealing with the kinks and problems that comes with ownership of these bikes.

Coming in hot! My name is Wes, I’m a commercial fisherman by trade here in Florida. I just purchased my first bike this week, one of my grandads bikes that I grew up on for many years prior. He was in a spot for cash, and I was in a predicament for a ride so we came up with a compromise. It seems as though I’ll be thoroughly going through this 1999 V-Star 650. So maybe I can return the favor and contribute my progress to the group, bringing this bike out of the ashes. Quite literally. Yeah, yesterday it caught on fire. Backfired out of the carbs I didn’t realize it was flooded, kept trying to crank it, and now I’m left with some tough choices and purchases to make. Anyone with some advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I’ll follow up with a post of few in the proper discussion pages. If you care to check up or speak up that’d be awesome. Y’all be safe & carry a fire extinguisher. It can happen to anyone.

View attachment 102497
Hello from Palmyra New York. I know your pain D'OH

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Looks like you had all the bases covered for a bad ending. Water to put out a gas fire....electric cords plugged in...You look very calm. Not as calm as the guy standing in the yard behind you but calm none the less. Looks like Grandpa took good care of his bike. Now you have a not so clean slate to work with...What ya gonna do with it? Bobber or back to original? This is where it gets interesting for me to see sombody's vision come to life. Good luck with your project! Keep us posted. Oh...And welcome from Columbus, OH! Great forum with a bunch of great people giving great advice! Plus you cant beat the price of that advice!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin looks like it was a nice bike to start with. There are a lot of people here that will be more than happy to lead you in the right direction. Good luck stop by often

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Welcome from northeast Georgia. Congratulations on the new to you bike and handling the carburetor explosion....sorry to hear and good luck with the rebuild.
The is a lot of knowledge and help on the forum, also any questions pertaining to suggestions before you spend the money on something you should or shouldn’t do.
Also there are many that are very creative and can help with ideas when rebuilding.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Welcome from Louisiana! Definitely look in to a dry chemical fire extinguisher, even a smaller one like for a boat. I'm looking forward to reading your journey of rebuilding.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Oh yeah, if you decide to join the Gnome team I found one you might like:

·
Registered
991 Posts
welcome from western NY. I must say that is one way to make a memorable introduction. Hope the damage isnt too extensive. Best of luck with the rebuild!

Reactions: lesblank

·
Super Moderator
7,991 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee!
Sorry to hear about the fire, but I congratulate you on doing a rebuild. Lots of 650 owners here on our forum with tons of advice, please keep us updated on your progress and pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
645 Posts
And parts are commonly available. Hell, Yamaha still MAKES the v-star 650's. I posted a link to a review of the 2020 model and the story specified the 2021 version was only new paint options.
EDIT: The review was from Australia/new Zealand, 2020. END EDIT.

I would look for a damaged bike ( damage in the rear) or one with a blown engine/tranny and harvest it for parts. Fixes yours and you have other spare parts for later. Just a set of carbs is expensive, you could have a spare set already rebuilt on the shelf!

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
2,000 Posts
Hello Wes and welcome from Virginia.

·
Registered
99 Roadie
590 Posts
Greetings from central Fl.
Man, that sux. Looks like it was a nice bike.
Hope the rebuild goes smooth.
What part of Fl are you in?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts