Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive managed a half century without ever having ridden a harley until today. My dad took a spill on his brand new road glide and sprained his ankle. So he's done for the season and asked if I'd ride it over to winter storage. I'm not anti harley, but I hated it. It felt tippy, even to me. I thought I was gonna dump it twice in a 6 mile trip. Both times at low speed at a traffic light. Steering really heavy and the bars feel like they want to pull over to full-steer as soon as you move them. It feels very top heavy. I also don't care for the heavy vibration, but that's more a personal preference thing. So after a few dozen Japanese bikes and one ducati... No harley in my future.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have never ridden a Harley either. In fact, I can count on one hand the different bikes I have ridden (not counting dirt bikes)…two Vstar 1100s, a Suzuki GS650, a Honda Pacific Coast, Suzuki Cavalcade, and some Honda 250 something-or-other.

I read an article comparing a F6B and Harley a few days ago. From what I read, I don't even have the interest to try an H-D. They mention the vibrating mirrors, the transmission that slams into first, and the stiff, hard ride…and this was a cruiser/tourer! And these features are INTENTIONALLY designed into the machine !?!?!

·
Registered
570 Posts
You're going from a ~580 pound, 1100 cc middleweight cruiser to a 103 cu in , 860 pound cross country tourer.

Of course it's going to feel heavier and want to fall over. Lol.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I love how raw and light switch like power my buddies super glide has. No complaints except the price of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
You're going from a ~580 pound, 1100 cc middleweight cruiser to a 103 cu in , 860 pound cross country tourer.

Of course it's going to feel heavier and want to fall over. Lol.
That is what I was thinking. They are big and heavy and very comfortable at hwy speeds. But all big heavy bikes are harder to handle at low speeds. My Vstar feels sooooo heavy compared to my FZ1, because it is.

I love how raw and light switch like power my buddies super glide has. No complaints except the price of one.
Price is why I got a Vstar. All the fun and functionality are still there without the HD name on it.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I took a road glide out for a ride when we went to Vegas and I rented an Indian - i hated the Indian. BF kept saying get on the road glide he had rented but I wasn't sure I could get my feet down well enough (Would definitely have to lower one if buying one as I'm short). But I think others are right. It wasn't a *lot* heavier than my Roadstar and it has a full fairing which the roadie does not. I must say I loved the Harley clutch. But, the roadie is paid for and there is no glide in my immediate future. But I would definitely find room in the garage if the motorcycle fairy were to pay a visit. Rumor has it they are bringing it out in purple in 2017. Ha! Rumor started by a dealer who knows I only buy purple bikes...

·
Registered
291 Posts
YA...the cost of an HD is outrageous to say the least. In my mind HD's are a thing of the past. I was thinking of switching brands. Although, I really like the HD Heritage, @ a cost of around $18,000.00 for starters. Adding a 2 tone paint, hydraulic clutch and a nicer sounding exhaust now your talking about twenty grand..... Back some time ago, I compared a Road Star with a Heritage. At that time I was riding a HD Ultra Classic Anniversary Edition with a Ultra Classic Sidecar to match. I was at my local Yamaha dealer and heard and saw what I thought was another HD pulling in the parking lot. Much to my surprise it was a White Road Star with a set of good sounding pipes. Looks were identical, from the studded seat and bags, to the clear windshield and running lights. I asked the owner, what was the cost of a Road Star.... I was shocked, he told me it was about $14,000.00, out the door. That's $4000.00 under the stock Heritage.. THEN came the Stratoliner...that's what's under my azzzzzzzz now...... What a difference.. and for a whole lost less $$$..

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just did a demo ride at the Harley dealers. Got to try out 7 different bikes. Dynas and Sportys were terrible. Felt my legs were going to shake right off the pegs and felt the pegs were not extended out far enough. Almost had to wrap my legs around the gas tank to reach them. Softails and touring bikes were much better. More comfortable and easy to ride but then the price tag kicks in and I can't understand why anybody would pay that much more when you can get a good metric for way less.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the interesting replies!

I mentioned the 'tippy' thing to my brother who reminded me dad had the bike lowered using some stuff he bought off amazon, and that he (my brother) found the bike dynamics notably worse afterward.

And the weight thing certainly true: As someone said, I'm used to a bike that's near 300lbs less - I hadn't realized the HD was so heavy. Thought about that the other day when I happened to ride a '99 Ninja 250, and the thing felt like a bicycle (but darned fun to ride).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Purple Bikes

Rumor has it they are bringing it out in purple in 2017. Ha! Rumor started by a dealer who knows I only buy purple bikes...
i love Purple bikes, my buddy who rides a CBR 500 makes fun of me because I am seriously contemplating painting my roadstar 1700 purple.. I also have a CVO ultra thats ugly black, silver and merlow. I want to have the gray painted candy purple... I really love purple bikes, did I already say that lol. If Harley comes out with one i am gonna be in a bade way to keep away from it. >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
There's a reason why so many people refer to HD as Hardly Ableson.
Their popularity is because they have a better brand ID than Coca Cola and IBM combined.
What marketing genius.

I AM anti Harley...I mean this: if you offered me ANY Harley free, paid for all maintenance for life, so long as I did not sell it, with the caveat that I had to give up all my other bikes, I'd decline it in a heartbeat.

As Walter Cronkite used to say on CBS news: "That's the way it is."

·
Registered
55 Posts
H-Ds are nice bikes, some are very stylish and offer respectable performance. Buuuut, they're over-priced for what you get and there's no way around that. You're paying for a brand name and for some, that's what it's all about.

I couldn't care less about brands. Does the bike look good, IMO? Does it perform the tasks I want it to perform? Can I afford it? Yes, then let's ride.

I've never owned an H-D, probably never will. The performance-to-price ratio of the Asian imports blows American bikes out of the water! That includes Victory and Indian, too.

To each their own, though. You spend your money however you please.

·
Registered
39 Posts
more on HD....a few more things I dislike: the rigid saddlebags are usually shaped like a parallelogram and this style was neat in 1960 but very tired-looking to my eyes now. They do have some nice tear-shaped ones covered in vinyl or leather but these are in the minority.
I also sneer at the air-cooled mania. They have begun to move into the liquid cooled engines in their more expensive lines but it is my understanding that they are only cooling the heads and not the entire engine block...(On some air-cooled models, the rear cylinder actually shuts off when bike is idling as the rear piston has been know to seize when stopped on hot days, as at a stop light..)

I do like the smooth shifting of the recent models as well as the six speeds, and also like the belt driven feature a lot.

Agree that they are way overpriced.

·
Registered
845 Posts
more on HD....a few more things I dislike: the rigid saddlebags are usually shaped like a parallelogram and this style was neat in 1960 but very tired-looking to my eyes now. They do have some nice tear-shaped ones covered in vinyl or leather but these are in the minority.
I also sneer at the air-cooled mania. They have begun to move into the liquid cooled engines in their more expensive lines but it is my understanding that they are only cooling the heads and not the entire engine block...(On some air-cooled models, the rear cylinder actually shuts off when bike is idling as the rear piston has been know to seize when stopped on hot days, as at a stop light..)

I do like the smooth shifting of the recent models as well as the six speeds, and also like the belt driven feature a lot.

Agree that they are way overpriced.
50% of the cruiser buying market does not agree with you as 50% of all cruisers sold in the USA are Harleys.
Those saddlebags your mention, go to a dealer and marvel on the quality construction, fit, finish and paint on them.

Incorrect, the rear cylinder will shut down on idle on hot days to aid in rider comfort, such as stuck in traffic, not because of rear pistons seizing. The "heat management system" can be easily turned off in seconds forever or turned on by the rider if he/she does not want to use it. I can tell you, the air cooled engine is no hotter in traffic then my vstar 1300.

You say over priced but enjoy the fantastic 6speed, I bet you would enjoy the cruise control, brakes, shocks, 6 gallon gas tank, fit, finish, paint, exhaust, etc. Not overpriced, you get what you pay for, most agree. Looking at the 2016 star lineup. I can see, even at much lower prices, star is now in the second year of not producing a large cruiser and most metrics have drastically cut back production of them.

For the life of me, I dont know why (but Yamaha must know) they do not produce a bike like the HD cruisers with the same features, fit, finish, large gas tanks, 6 speed transmissions and quality materials, including the saddle bags, suspension and brakes and brake lines! If they did, I think you would find the price exactly in the price range of the Harleys and Indians and possibly Yamaha at that price point figure they would not sell because people would then just go to the Harley or Indian.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Alarmguy, no problem to disagree...I was wrong on some details but still hold my ground...

You said:
50% of the cruiser buying market does not agree with you as 50% of all cruisers sold in the USA are Harleys.

My take on that comment is that it could more accurately be be stated as "50% of the cruiser buying market has bought into the fabulously successful marketing of the HD name and "mystigue" (although I don't consider there to be any mystique about them...they are just bikes...)

I do not agree on their quality being all that good, especially their drive trains...Yes, they do have some nice features, but that doesn't justify their prices in my book. Then again, the pricey BMW label is more prone to cost a lot in maintenance...Yamaha has the lowest maint costs, followed by (I don't know what the order) Honda, KAwa, Suzuki, and fifth and sixty are HD and BMW. I have read that in more than one place.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing in a more or less polite way, and that is what I see us doing..

Grace + Peace,

Bob

·
Registered
845 Posts
Alarmguy, no problem to disagree...I was wrong on some details but still hold my ground...

You said:

My take on that comment is that it could more accurately be be stated as "50% of the cruiser buying market has bought into the fabulously successful marketing of the HD name and "mystigue" (although I don't consider there to be any mystique about them...they are just bikes...)

I do not agree on their quality being all that good, especially their drive trains...Yes, they do have some nice features, but that doesn't justify their prices in my book. Then again, the pricey BMW label is more prone to cost a lot in maintenance...Yamaha has the lowest maint costs, followed by (I don't know what the order) Honda, KAwa, Suzuki, and fifth and sixty are HD and BMW. I have read that in more than one place.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing in a more or less polite way, and that is what I see us doing..

Grace + Peace,

Bob
No problem, we all purchase different items in life based on what we enjoy. For what seems as a waste of money to one person is a perfectly sane reason to buy something for someone else.

Most of the general public thinks all motorcycles are a death trap waste of money.

For me after owning 2 metrics, a Suzuki and Vstar the new Rushmore Road King was my ultimate purchase. I can testify and so can anyone, if they are one to appreciate materials and craftsmanship, place any metric cruiser next to an HD and they will instantly see and feel why it is a more expensive bike. IF and that is a big IF, all the little details matter to them that I mentioned in the other posts.

I like all bikes, Im not pushing Harley, I am stating the reasons I purchased the bike and I am also correcting the massive amount of misinformation and hearsay regarding Harleys.

One which you stated right in your reply and feel the need to correct. Since you mentioned you've read and seem to be saying some things that you read in publications anyone can verify by consumer reports that Harleys drivetrains are just as reliable as anyones.
Yamaha was at the top of the list for reliability and Harley and BMW at the bottom. So instead of 1 or 2 Yamaha bikes out of ten needing a service call 3 or 4 Harleys may need a service call. (rough numbers)The story goes on to say that it appears most repairs were not major component repairs but more electrical type related repairs across all brands. This would only make sense as, many more Harleys on the road are loaded with comfort features.

All bikes have their issues. Knock wood, I have not had any issues for my first 7000 miles so far, thing runs like a swiss watch. Ill be the first to post of any issues.

Its ok, I am just discussing too. No problem, I REALLY DO NOT have ANY loyalty to ANY brand of any product, I have loyalty to my wallet. However, if that product performs in a way I expect, right now far exceeding my expectations I will be loyal until the day it lets me down OR another product comes out that I find more interesting.

I have never read anything nor seen anything that states Yamaha has the lowest maintenance costs but if you can produce that, thats fine, my real life experience so far is by now I would have been looking to buy a new set of tires for my vstar, my HD OEM tires look like they will make it double the 7000 miles I have on it now. No need for me to bring it in for a valve check either. If, god willing, I run up so many miles that one day I need a new drive belt, well, the HD is half the price of the vstar. As far as buying accessories, I find the HD aftermarket branded acessories close to the same prices as the true aftermarket ones. Ex. installed a HD LED taillight, NICE quality unit, direct replacement, the quality aftermarket brands were all around the same price and higher.

One last thought that I see a lot, people in metrics comparing things to other Harleys, but they have to compare apples to apples. There are 10s of thousands of Harleys on the road going back decades. When comparing, we need to compare the current lineup with the current lineup. There are lots of features and improvements in the Rushmore (14 and later) bikes and also with, if I got the year right, what started around 2009 with the new frames.
Peace:eek:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
There's no denying that there are more H-Ds rumbling down American roads than any other cruiser. Many of those riders, that I've noticed, are older. There's nothing wrong with that, IMO it just means that these guys (& gals) have been able to save enough money or build enough credit to afford what they've always wanted. Good for them!

Many younger people (myself included) can't afford such a proper cruiser (larger engine, more amenities, etc) contained in H-D showrooms... so we shop the metrics. If I ever have the spare cash and nothing else to spend it on (firearms mostly, my other addiction), maybe an H-D could be parked in my garage. It's not on the "to-do" list, though.

I don't hate on H-Ds or their riders, so I hope I didn't come off that way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts