Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to motorcycling and don't have anyone in my family or among my friends who has much experience with them. So being a total Newbie I just yesterday, dropped the clutch way to fast on one of my little rides - lost control of the bike and went down at relatively low speed (15-20 km/h?).

Aside from a scratched handle bar and brake pedal/peg It seems I've thrown off the alignment of my front wheel and handle bars. I guess I should take it to the mechanics but wonder if it's safe to ride there or whether I should rent a uhaul and take it down? Also any tips on finding a good mechanic?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry to hear of your drop, hope that you didn't get skinned up. The foot brake and peg, you can go on Youtube and probably figure out how to repair those yourself. That is if you can turn a wrench

Definitely a good mechanic is in order. This is the machine that you will be heading down the road at freeway speeds in the future. Biting the bullet and going to the dealer (as long as he is reputable) is not a bad thing. They are capable even if they are the dealer of a different metric bike (not recommending Harley, too pricey). I would check online for reviews of the dealer I was interested. If you can catch another rider or two in your area, word of mouth is so much more accurate in my opinion.

As far as; should you ride it? This can only be determined by you. Just ease it over there if you do. An hour long ride though, something might come loose that you are not aware of. Might not be a good idea. You can schedule a bike wrecker to come pick it up. Maybe if you are flexible it won't be very much.

Hopefully it just needs to be adjusted, Don't let it get you down, let's learn from our mistakes. Keep on riding!

P.S. Before getting it fixed, practice with the clutch....if it starts to go down, throw it down on the same side. lol
(got to give you a little razzing)

·
Registered
389 Posts
You just need to loosen the fork tube lock bolts on the triple tree and hold the front wheel between your legs and move the bars back and forth to alighn the wheel and tighten the bolts back down.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sorry on the drop Sam. But we have all dropped ours at some time or another. Hopefully repairs won't cost ya too much.

🇺🇸 Ride your own ride. 🇺🇸

·
Super Moderator
13,075 Posts
howdy. feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting once you get it fixed up, or if you have a 'before' pic

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5655

is it safe: tough for us to say since we can't see the damage ourselves. is anything loose? how far off is the alignment? if you don't feel safe on it, then have it towed to a shop.

find a mechanic: do a google search for your town and the words "bike shop" or "bike mechanic". use the site YELP.com as it can show you reviews of different shops

·
Registered
389 Posts
Aw come on, anytime you pull the fork tubes for service you have to realighn the handlebars before you tighten the pinch bolts.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It's better to err on the side of safety. If you have doubts about anything; go to a repair shop. I noticed your speed was in Km; where do you live? Maybe some members from that area could help you out with either repairs or advising you on a good repair shop.

Learn from it, ride safer and try to keep it shiny side up ;)
(just ribbin ya a bit)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Sorry to hear about you fall. Glad you didn't damage yourself. If you find a shop that you decide is good enough to fix your bike, call and talk to them. Some shops will charge a small fee to come and pick your bike up if they are doing the work, usually cheaper than a tow-truck. Good luck :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys (and the razzing :p). I straightened the alignment bicycle style (with a swift kick) and adjusted the brake with a wrench, took it to a decent shop to have the guy look it over and said it was fine. Aside from a few minor scratches I'm good to go! Oh, and the "Km's" mean I'm hailing from Canada (Toronto). As soon as I get time I think I'll be taking a general maintenance course at the local college...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Thanks for the input guys (and the razzing :p). I straightened the alignment bicycle style (with a swift kick) and adjusted the brake with a wrench, took it to a decent shop to have the guy look it over and said it was fine. Aside from a few minor scratches I'm good to go! Oh, and the "Km's" mean I'm hailing from Canada (Toronto). As soon as I get time I think I'll be taking a general maintenance course at the local college...
You are not to far from me. In any case there are lots of bike shops up there so if you have any trouble in the future.

A ridding coarse is something you just do and worry about the time later. It's far cheaper then repairing the bike all the time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am real stable and smooth now that I have 8000 miles on her. I have been without a bike for ten years. I feel that a rider's course would do me well, there has got to be something I don't know.:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts