Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just seen my rear tire is flat looks like a larger staple sticking out. I know bike shops wont plug a tire has anyone done there own.it works on cars and last the life if the tire . recommendations? ?. Yes plug or no:(

·
Registered
473 Posts
I guess the reason people shy away from plugging is the fact your only on 2 tires to begin with. Ive plugged my share of tires, mostly truck/car tires, a few lawn mower tires and even on our BobCat. They seem to hold/seal very well. Ive never had a plug fail on a truck/car tire but I usually patched those from the inside versus a typical plug. If you plug anything the trick is to trim the excess off below the tread line so you don't pull it out. We were doing a run with a bunch of bikes and someone got a flat and the only thing the garage could do is plug it (we were out in the middle of nowhere), they rode it home (about 60 miles) without any issues but the following Monday they had it switched out, sucks because the bike only had about 1500 miles on it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The shops here will patch bike tires from the inside the correct way. But at that point there is a lot of labor taking the tire off the expence of putting a new tires on is minimal especially a rear tire. I have used a plug with no issue but it was a large nail. If it's a smaller diameter hole I've also used slime with great results. I had slime in my rear tire last time it was changed I gave fair warning to the shop. I got 4000 miles on slime before the tire needed changed

·
Registered
417 Posts
I plug trailer tires occasionally and some farm equipment tires and once in a while a car or truck tire.

I don't have a lot of confidence in a plugged MC tire. For an emergency or to get to the shop to change a tire, then yes I would plug it. But to plug and count on the plug for an extended time, I would not. The problem as I see it, is that an MC tire isn't really all that thick so the plug doesn't have a lot of material to adhere to.

·
Administrator
13,696 Posts
i wouldn't plug one. it changes the characteristics of the tire which already has only half the contact patch as a car tire. and a bike is starting out with only half the tires as a car. and plugged tires on cars are only supposed to be temporary anyway. two things i don't gamble on with my bike are tires and brakes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts