Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just under 700 miles on the bike, so did the first oil change this weekend. Did both engine oil and transfer case oil. Used a trick I read on here about using lumber to get the bike up on for the add'l clearance for the oil pan. Used a couple 2x6's cut with a 45 for the tires, worked pretty good...thanks! The oil change went pretty well, but the filter was a real bitch to get off. I used a rubber strap wrench to get it off, just about couldn't get it as it was super damn tight.

The transfer case, though what seems like a major undertaking just to get to the plugs, went pretty well all things considered. I ended up spending 4 or 5 hours doing the entire job as I am not a bike mechanic, though I typically do most of my own mechanic work. I found a PDF copy of the service manual online for free and that was actually a great help if you've not used it before. It goes step by step what all you need to do to remove the exhaust (which is a must to change the transfer case oil).

I used Valvoline 20W-50 dino (4-stroke) and Valvoline 75W-90 synthetic for the transfer case.

Fortunately, I've got a shop now where I can make a mess but not lose parts in the gravel (like I've done in the past).

·
Registered
672 Posts
I truely dread when i actually get a liner and have to do these fluid changes.
It's not that bad. I'm no mechanic either and I did oil and t-case in about 2 hours. I didn't completely remove my exhaust to get to the t-case either. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Man, I envy you...that's an awesome workshop! I wish I had all that space in a well lit climate controlled environment to work on my liner. On the other hand, I did my t-case and oil change recently but took a shortcut on the t-case which did not require nearly that much wrench turning. The alternate method is pretty well know and written up in this forum. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Nice job,well done. Hey there is too something wrong with your shop,I only see one bike and no working refreshments lol.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clearly, you missed the Corona bottle on the table. Actually, it's not Corona, but a buddy of mine went to "Gallaghers' Where U Brew" in Edmonds, so enjoying one of his creations. Also, the GSXR is off to the right in the first pic, out of the FOV.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
My bad I should have spotted that without my glasses on. Wouldn't mind see n a oic of the suzi.That was one hell of a bike in its day.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, ask and you shall receive...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
That is in great shape, nice rocket. That's vintage rice at it's finest.Too bad you couldn't keep it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts