Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My second post. After a 20 year gap between owning bikes, I bought a one owner 7,500 mile Silverado 1100 a few weeks back. I trailered it home and finally had a chance for a quick 50 mile run as it's 52 today here in Minnesota. Here are my impressions. I'm used to older sport bikes having owned a GS1000, GPZ 1100 R90/6 etc and it will take me awhile to get used to how heavy it is at low speeds. At higher speeds and even in a moderate cross wind, it's really stable.

Clutch and Transmission are as smooth as any bike I've ever owned. It seems like it would be impossible to kill it at launch as it pulls like a train. It's got a lot of low end torque so it seems you can get pretty sloppy about gear selection without much negative consequence.

Other than a brief Moto Guzzi ownership many years ago, I've never owned a floor board bike. I'm not crazy about the placement of the rear brake pedal as it's really hard to get at in a hurry. The good news is the double discs up front seem to have a lot of stopping power. Steering is surprisingly responsive and with slight counter steer inputs, it goes easily from side to side.

I was pleasantly surprised how little vibration there was in this bike. Though my hands tingled a little after the ride, it was pretty impressive. I'd also forgotten it was a shaft drive. This technology has come along way since my old 76 R90. One that thing, the throttle really served as altitude control.......crack it open and the seat rose 3 inches.

I don't have much to sort out. I think I'll experiment with the rear suspension pre-load a bit. Also, it seems to idle high when warm. No tach of course but it feels like about 1200 rpm. I'll have to check the manual for adjustments. I also think the locking gas cap is a pain and unneeded. If I was a gas thief, I'd likely pick something that held more than four gallons.

Finally, I've always been impressed with Yamaha. This is my second Yami bike. I'm also a musician and have owned a few of their guitars, always wanted a C3 Grand Piano, have a 24 year old 50 horse outboard and have owned a jet ski. It just seems like they make stuff that works across a huge range of products. Well, I hope you enjoyed this and can find some time to ride while the world goes crazy.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi and yes you can adjust the brake foot pedal as many have probably done so. And I’m thinking that the 1100 likes a idle of 1100 rpm that is where I had set the one I had. Nice bike just take the time to get used to being on a cruiser motorcycle as they are a little bit different from what you remember. Also the heal toe shifter is adjustable to in case you have taller boots and can’t get under it.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
625 Posts
Welcome, and I know you'll love that bike.

Did you know, the Yamaha logo is 3 tuning forks, owing to their musical instrument beginnings.

Be sure to check the tire dates on your new bike. I always warn guys about that on older low mileage bikes. Hopefully an '07 wouldn't have original tires, but many do.

·
Super Moderator
3,252 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I also got back into riding on an 1100 and it was a really great bike. Yeah, it was heavier than I was used to, but the low center of gravity made it a breeze to ride both around town and on the highway. My hands would tingle too so I got a set of Kuryakyn ISO grips and that all but eliminated it. It was my first bike with floorboards and heel/toe shifter and I don't ever want a bike that doesn't have them now.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. You are right about getting used to floor boards and brake. The heel shifter was real weird to get used to now i love it. After having mine for a year it is normal now. As for the rpms that is normal. You need the r's to keep the oil flowing to the top of the engine. I wear gel pad gloves ever since i had a 1800 VTX that helps with the numbing. I don't know if i can say i love the 1100 it might be more of an obsession.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
like Deek said dont change the idle speed until you check the owners manual and check it with a tach

people think these bikes should lumpA lumpA lumpA like a harley, but the vstar bikes are not long throw engines and they idle faster, to keep the oil flow to the bearings.

slow your idle down like a harley and you will burn out your bearings in the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts