Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, it's true... sadly our summer here in Northern Newfoundland is off to an incredibly pathetic start, but yesterday things suddenly turned around, and we are now finally coming into some decent riding weather! (did I mention that we had snow just a week ago?... not joking!) Well, when I got out on the Honda yesterday it was downright hot/humid, at least for this part of the world. (31C, or 88F, with a humidex value of 36C, or 97F) Other years we are out riding by mid-May, but this year we were still getting serious snow right through May and most of June! On May 24th we received almost three feet of the white stuff in just one night, and as I said, we even had snow coming down just last week. Yikes!

I had been following the daily weather forecast very closely, as I have been itching to get back to riding for the first time since last September, and yesterday, when I saw that they were calling for lots of heat and sunshine for a change, I got up early and worked away at getting both of our bikes (2014 Honda CB500FA and 2014 V-Star Custom) ready for the season. Due to our inability to find anyone willing to make some serious bucks to build us a much-needed new 20'x30' shed for our toys last year, both bikes have hibernated in our back porch all winter... and as this is actually our laundry room, the Missus was particularly anxious to get our wheels back outdoors where they belong, rather than crowding her ironing board!

Both bikes were put away fairly dirty last fall, so I had my work cut out for me. I first wheeled the Honda out through our narrow back door, (no easy feat) put her up on the paddock stands, cleaned and lubed the chain, washed her up, then a wax job and air in the tires, and that was that. The V-Star Custom, on the other hand, was pretty near impossible to shoehorn through that narrow back door, (even had to remove the highway bars last fall to get it inside) so I had to use a few zap straps to fold the foot pegs up, turned the mirrors inward, and then proceeded to force the 37"- wide bike through our 30"- wide door frame. (I believe I may have cursed a bit at this point, but there is no video evidence of this) Anyway, long story short, the Missus has her laundry room back, and both bikes are now parked on the deck, looking every bit as clean and shiny and absolutely flawless as the day they were purchased, so I have my happy-face on again... finally! Suffice it to say that I had such an awesome ride yesterday around this little island paradise that we're so fortunate to call home, and although my ever-ailing spine always forces me to keep my rides rather short, I was thrilled to be back on two wheels. That was yesterday, and as today's weather was a carbon copy of yesterday's, I took the V-Star out for its first round of the summer, and once again I was on cloud nine!

Wow, it was a very lengthy downtime... from September/2017 to July/2018... but now my wife and I will be out riding pretty much daily, sharing our incredibly scenic coastal roads with almost no other traffic to speak of, but instead with about 500 woodland caribou who believe that these roads were actually built for them! Here's a few pics from last summer, but stay tuned for regular updates/photos/videos of our Fogo Island riding experience over the next few months!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Who knows, maybe its a good thing?

On the plus side, your motorcycle will last for the rest of your life.

I have always wondered why all the people living above the arctic circle dont dye their hair black, move to Hawaii, and pretend they are natives?

But I do understand that most of the neurons in your brain get tuned to the place where you grew up, and that is always home.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... I do understand that most of the neurons in your brain get tuned to the place where you grew up, and that is always home.
Nah, my wife and I were born and raised in Southern Ontario, and we have absolutely no wish to return to that rat race. Our summers here on Fogo Island may be short, but they're gorgeous. And when you factor in that we have no texting teens, no freeways, in fact no traffic, nor even a single traffic light, no noise, no pollution... not to mention no gangs/drive-by shootings, actually no crime at all... well, it would sure be difficult to find a nicer place to live. Our doors are never locked, and the keys have never been out of the ignition.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Glad you're finally getting some warm weather Glen. I thought we had a crappy spring here but I've been watching the news and you win, hands down. Every time I see those pics I'm reminded of Sanikiluaq, a hamlet on the the rocky little island we lived on when we first got married.

And suddenly it's summer. 35C here today (95F) with 39% humidity that makes it feel like 41C (105F). Been like that all week (almost too hot to ride! Almost). I think I lost ten pounds in my leather jacket on my ten minute ride home from work today!

Just a side note on the PC side, KCW - the Inuit, or Inuk, like the term eskimo the same way black people feel about the n word.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you're finally getting some warm weather Glen. I thought we had a crappy spring here but I've been watching the news and you win, hands down. Every time I see those pics I'm reminded of Sanikiluaq, a hamlet on the the rocky little island we lived on when we first got married.

And suddenly it's summer. 35C here today (95F) with 39% humidity that makes it feel like 41C (105F). Been like that all week (almost too hot to ride! Almost). I think I lost ten pounds in my leather jacket on my ten minute ride home from work today!

Just a side note on the PC side, KCW - the Inuit, or Inuk, like the term eskimo the same way black people feel about the n word.
Yes, we've been reading about the extreme heat in New Brunswick and southern Quebec, (along with much of the USA) and it even made its way up to Fogo, although today was thankfully much cooler. When I was out riding on Tuesday it was far too hot, and like you, I too have a (very heavy, black) leather jacket, (and also black leather gloves/riding boots) and I thought I was going to melt!! It wasn't too bad out on the highway, but when puttering around in the towns it was brutally hot with all that black leather! All my life I have never made out well in the heat... I wish the temps could just stay hovering in the 18-22C range all summer, and I'd be a happy camper.

Well, now I'm off to google "Sanikiluaq"!!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
... the Inuit, or Inuk, like the term eskimo the same way black people feel about the n word.
that is news to me. Seems to be no single word to describe all the people in North America who live above the Arctic Circle.

Everyone has the right to choose their own identity.

I read a website that explains these people resent that word, then the rest of the page continues to use it to refer to them.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I didn't know either until I spent a year living among them. They are a beautiful, friendly, and generous people whose way of life has been destroyed in just the last couple of generations. I met people who hadn't even lived in houses for the first part of their lives. So I wasn't trying to be preachy or overly PC. Most people who don't know the Inuit wouldn't know that so I was just trying to pass on what I learned.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
From what I read its not that the word itself is derogatory, the problem is the people that treated them terribly and abused them, called them by that name.

I know a lady whos father treated her mother terribly, and he would say things like "where's my dinner woman?" calling her 'woman' instead of using her name.

Now this lady feels like the word 'woman' is abusive.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was hot as Hades on Fogo Island again today, 31C (87F) with a humidex value of 36C, (97C) but by 8:00pm it had finally cooled down to a more respectable 25C, (77F) so I went out for a nice evening ride... alone this time, (the Missus was unable to join me) so I rode the 650 Custom. After several kms of stunning ocean vistas, I stopped for a short rest at the Fogo Battery (lookout) just in time to enjoy a spectacular show put on by two huge humpback whales, who were repeatedly jumping almost clean out of the water. They were putting on this awesome performance only about 50 metres from shore. Twenty minutes later I was stuck behind a large trotting caribou (I was trailing just a few metres behind him) who flat-out refused to let me pass by. I putted along behind the beast for a good km, before he finally relented by jumping down into the ditch, and then I was able to get back to enjoying my evening ride. On the way back home, a local "Mountie" (RCMP police officer) struck a very large duck of some sort with his cruiser, and the bird landed, dead, right in front of my bike! Fortunately I somehow avoided running over the big carcass by mere inches... whew, that could have gotten ugly! So all in all, I was out for an hour and a half tonight, which is my upper limit before my messed-up spine begins to protest loudly.

We're hoping that it won't be too hot to ride tomorrow, because we now have a lot of catching up to do, as we are just this week beginning our summer riding season! (thanks to our having recieved multiple snowfalls throughout all of May, and most of June too... Yuck!) Oh, did I mention that we're supposed to be getting hit by Hurricane Chris on Friday? Sheesh!

It's a shame that I don't have a GoPro cam mounted on the V-Star like the one on my Honda, as it could have captured some very nice footage of the leaping whales, and of the caribou trotting down the centre of the road... oh yeah, and the action shot of the poor duck hitting the pavement directly in front of me... and of my sudden evasive manoeuver around Mr. Duck, (R.I.P.) which somehow prevented me from what would have most likely been my first wipeout ever!

The very late start to the season is unfortunate, but it sure is nice now to have both bikes back outside, cleaned/waxed, and finally ready for some serious summer riding fun once again. Here's a new pic of our bikes, and also including our newest ride; a 2018 Nissan Rogue "SL Platinum" which can be almost as much fun as the bikes are!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw a squirrel today! :^)
Haha, believe it or not, we don't have squirrels here, so seeing one would actually be a pretty big deal for us! Also no chipmunks. And no turtles. And no snakes. We do have a black fox who comes right through our yard most days though.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I once followed two moose down a road one winter in an 18 wheeler. Because of the snowbanks they were reluctant to get off the road I guess. The one in back moved to the side after several blasts from the air horn and for a moment I eased up beside it. Its head was level with my side window. Eventually they decided enough was enough and veered off into the woods. I'd sure hate to meet one of those on my bike on a dark road at night.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I once followed two moose down a road one winter in an 18 wheeler. Because of the snowbanks they were reluctant to get off the road I guess. The one in back moved to the side after several blasts from the air horn and for a moment I eased up beside it. Its head was level with my side window. Eventually they decided enough was enough and veered off into the woods. I'd sure hate to meet one of those on my bike on a dark road at night.
Hadn’t done the Moose thing, but had a close call back in Calif years ago.
Buddy and I were doing a 600 mile ride and we’re going through the desert about 9:45pm.
The roads were really fun because it was like a sine wave! Up, down, up, down. At 65mph you would lift outta your seat momentarily at the crest of each hill.
I cam over the top of one of those and there was a Mule Deer (the top of his back was even with my line of sight) standing in the middle of the road!!
I hit my brakes HARD and skidded past where he stood.
Would’ve been catastrophic had he not darted outta the way at the last second!
I know God was watching out for us for sure!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts