Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it was my first trip with the new bike and first short trip as a rider. Drove overall about 350 miles. Took some back roads in the NC mountains that got really curvy and were great! There was 7 motorcycles and everyone was doubled up! Overall 17 of us with 3 in a truck following us with a trailer in case the unthinkable happened.

Got 50-56mpg!

Really need to get a windshield though....Any after market suggestions that is not over $300?...the short time on interstate was not that fun! Also I had to keep speeding up and slowing down to break in the new motor! Bought the bike with 0 miles and they told me after 1000 miles it is considered broke in. Maybe it was too soon for a trip like that but hoping not!

Dealership talked my wife in to some scala Q1 the day before our trip....the music seemed to work well...but communication was terrible...should of went with the Sena ones.

Next up need to get windshield and saddlebags!

Ride safe everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Congrats on your first long trip! I recently took my first long ride, about two weeks ago, even though I have been riding for nearly 5 years.

As for the windshield, there is a lot that goes into this decision. I recommend the Memphis Shades Fat boy (or whatever they are called). The key is to figure out the correct height, as they have many different choices. Check out this video on the best way to measure the right height windshield for you:

He is right about having the top of the windshield line up with the tip of your nose. With this windshield configuration, you will have a nice pocket of air around you with little buffeting and wind noise. You will notice a major difference in that you will no longer have to hold your torso up against the wind and you will be much more comfortable and relaxed. I am 6'1" and need the 21" tall Memphis Shades screen.

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
Yes, congrats on your trip. May I suggest looking into a batwing fairing? I replaced the factory tall windshield off my 09' 950t with a Memphis shades batwing fairing. I bought the fairing, lower deflectors,and the 12" clear windshield all for just over $500. I'm getting slightly better mileage, and less wind turbulence. My bike is black so I didn't have to paint it. Just a suggestion.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! Thanks guys will be checking both options out. So many things I would love to do....just gotta take my time or the wife will kill me! haha

·
Registered
167 Posts
Awesome! Thanks guys will be checking both options out. So many things I would love to do....just gotta take my time or the wife will kill me! haha
I hear ya, and good thinking. I try to make one fairly major upgrade each year. 2015 was the seat, then the windshield, and a rain suit. Next year will be a Schuberth C3 helmet, I believe.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Better to ask for forgiveness than permission. :D Plus just tell her you are wanting one to make her ride more comfortable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went with the Memphis shades black on black (top half clear) with black mounting kit.. since the bike has a some key chrome parts but with the solid black...I think the custom black on the windshield will make it stick out a little more!....should be here early next week. Went with 17inches. should be able to look right over it.....now on to saddlebags soon!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Went with the Memphis shades black on black (top half clear) with black mounting kit.. since the bike has a some key chrome parts but with the solid black...I think the custom black on the windshield will make it stick out a little more!....should be here early next week. Went with 17inches. should be able to look right over it.....now on to saddlebags soon!
Nice. When it arrives, put the windshield/framework together first, then mount it to the bike. Some dumb people (me) have tried to install the framework to the mounts along with the shield all at once. Doesn't work out too well.

Hopefully the top of this 17" shield lines up with the tip of your nose. Have someone check it from the side after installation. If it does, and you still get turbulence, don't panic…you will need to get some lowers to smooth out the air flow coming under the shield. This is the source of most helmet-shaking turbulence.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice. When it arrives, put the windshield/framework together first, then mount it to the bike. Some dumb people (me) have tried to install the framework to the mounts along with the shield all at once. Doesn't work out too well.

Hopefully the top of this 17" shield lines up with the tip of your nose. Have someone check it from the side after installation. If it does, and you still get turbulence, don't panic…you will need to get some lowers to smooth out the air flow coming under the shield. This is the source of most helmet-shaking turbulence.
Thanks for the input! Had trouble with just a couple screws that happened to be stripped but got it on pretty easily.

I have not been able to ride it too much since I got it on due to all this rain we have been getting but it does line up with the tip of my nose. The only problem is that I have noticed the turbulence hitting the top of my helmet.

What do you mean by getting some lowers to smooth out the air flow?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Turbulence hitting the top of your helmet…turbulence as in wind noise, or turbulence as in the air flow causing your helmet to move/shake? If it is noise, are you sure it is hitting the top of your helmet? Most helmet noise comes from underneath as the air flow gets whipped around in every direction from all the hardware down low, including your legs and torso. It swirls around around your neck and creates a lot of noise. I am not making this crap up … though it sounds it… learned it from watching helmet review videos. Lowers mounted to your forks below the windshield create a smooth airflow coming up under your windshield, eliminating the main source of most buffeting.

If you ride in traffic, you will get a lot of turbulence from cars in front of you and coming at you in the other lane. Even with my giant shield and lowers, I still get some turbulence when in traffic. This morning, i was riding on some country roads with no other vehicles around and the air flow was very smooth and I practically had no wind noise. I could hear my keys dangling on the ring, hanging out of the ignition!

I would suggest you go out at a time with little or no wind, and little to no traffic around you and see how it is. If you still get a lot of wind noise / turbulence (helmet movement), check out getting some lowers.

I tried dropping an image into this post, but it was too large. If you Google "motorcycle lowers" you will get many images of what they look like.

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
I'm with Candy cw, when I purchased my MS fairing, I went with the lowers on the fairing. I had fork lowers already on my 950t, and with the fairing lowers, I don't get much turbulence except in traffic. Hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts