Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently added the Backoff Brake Light module to my SVTC. Since I wanted to minimize cutting wires I added it to the trunk light only.

Two reasons for this.
1) it kept the fender brake light stock, so hopefully no tickets for a flashing brake light.
2) the cutting was done in the trunk so no exposure to weather.

The installation was not to bad.

1) remove the liner from the rear of the trunk.
2) remove the black plastic piece from the rear of the trunk.
Note: 4 Phillips screws on top, 2 10mm bolts on the bottom. The 8 mm bolts hold the locking mechanism to the plastic piece, no need to loosen them. Found out after I did.
3) remove the wiring harness from the holders. There is a small connector you disconnect.

you can then remove the trim from around the light and then the light or work in place. I removed the trim and light.

4) cut the YELLOW (brake) wire and install the Backoff Module per the instructions.
5) attach the black wire from the Backoff Module to the black/white wire going to the tail/brake light.

I did this on the downstream side of the connector so worst case I could buy a new light and plug it into the factory connector.
I also used spade connectors on the wiring. This allows me to 1) remove the Backoff Module and return the light to factory configuration but more important 2) it allows me to select from one of two lighting configurations without having to recut wires.

The module I have is 1) 4 quick flashes and then solid until you release the brake light or 2) 4 flashes then solid for about 4 seconds and then repeats for as long as you hold the brake. This is the option I chose since the brake light on the fender is still solid.

I have a video of the results and once I figure out how to post it I will add it.

Sign in - Google Accounts

·
Registered
756 Posts
I hope that your state would not ticket somebody for flashing brake lights on a motorcycle but yet I guess it could happen. I installed a R/T/B kit on my 950 in OH. I have had Police Officers behind me while stopping. None have pulled me over yet. If it is illegal to flash your brakes I would hope they would go after the 2 footed brake tapping cage drivers as well..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope that your state would not ticket somebody for flashing brake lights on a motorcycle but yet I guess it could happen. I installed a R/T/B kit on my 950 in OH. I have had Police Officers behind me while stopping. None have pulled me over yet. If it is illegal to flash your brakes I would hope they would go after the 2 footed brake tapping cage drivers as well..
I agree with you 100%.

But again, the wiring in the trunk was a big factor. Simpler and easy to find. (i.e. being lazy).

Eric

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did that already. I installed mine under my seat. I purchased my brake module from www.superbrightled.com
Mine flashes 4 times fast then 4 times slow then to just on.

I just got the bike last November. Read just about anything I could find on it, including modifications. I did not see anything on this, so when I did it I thought I would post it for those still thinking about doing it. Not trying to start a competition or one-upmanship.

Eric

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,452 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I just got the bike last November. Read just about anything I could find on it, including modifications. I did not see anything on this, so when I did it I thought I would post it for those still thinking about doing it. Not trying to start a competition or one-upmanship.

Eric
And it's an excellent write up. You will definitely help someone who is considering the mod. I have a triple whammy on mine and drivers behind me seem to see me better since I did. Definitely post a video.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

And it's an excellent write-up. You will definitely help someone who is considering the mod. I have a triple whammy on mine and drivers behind me seem to see me better since I did. Definitely post a video.
[/QUOTE]

I use to write procedures to repair nuclear submarines.

How was the install on the triple whammy? I prefer to minimize the amount of cutting to the stock wiring. Would love to find some plug and play lighting. Also, I am a firm believer in a lot of lights and loud horns.

A far as the video it is just the results. Did not film the install. But for some reason, I cannot load it. I can upload pictures, but the only way to upload a video is if I have a url to refer to. Unless I am missing something.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,452 Posts
Luckily my triple whammy was a plug and play this time, not a SVTC. On previous bikes it was a splice in. Easy way to post videos is to upload to YouTube or Google Photos, copy and paste into thread. Here's how mine look, not a very good video buy hopefully you can see the concept.

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
ecbaatz,
Is it illegal in your state to have a rear light to flash then turn solid?
Like Les and others have done, I installed the triple whammy light kit on my 950 and recently the RoadStar.
Speaking as an LEO it’s legal to have in Tennessee and many other states. The visibility is worth the install. Nearly all of the motorcycle crashes I’ve worked where the bike was rear ended was because they couldn’t tell the bike was coming to a stop or a lack of good lighting.
As a biker, I believe that being visible is a large priority, I commend you for becoming even more visible. My kits for both bikes were plug and play. The hardest part was finding red LED bulbs with the correct prongs on the Roadie.
The kit was under $70.00 with taxes, my safety and others is worth that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ecbaatz,
Is it illegal in your state to have a rear light to flash then turn solid?
Like Les and others have done, I installed the triple whammy light kit on my 950 and recently the RoadStar.
Speaking as an LEO it’s legal to have in Tennessee and many other states. The visibility is worth the install. Nearly all of the motorcycle crashes I’ve worked where the bike was rear ended was because they couldn’t tell the bike was coming to a stop or a lack of good lighting.
As a biker, I believe that being visible is a large priority, I commend you for becoming even more visible. My kits for both bikes were plug and play. The hardest part was finding red LED bulbs with the correct prongs on the Roadie.
The kit was under $70.00 with taxes, my safety and others is worth that.

I have not checked on the legality. I have ridden a number of years with the backoff on my Suzuki. So I am really not worried about it. Willing to accept the ticket for the added safety.

On the Suzuki I had the flash pattern set for 4 quick flashes and then a steady solid. On the SVTC I decided on the alternating pattern. Will be fun to see how it works out.

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
I checked MI laws on Motorcycles and it states that only motorcycles can have flashing lights, such as a modulating headlight and rear lights as long as it burns solid when the bike comes to a stop on the rear. LED’s are ok under the tank, etc , as long as they are amber or white.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I checked MI laws on Motorcycles and it states that only motorcycles can have flashing lights, such as a modulating headlight and rear lights as long as it burns solid when the bike comes to a stop on the rear. LED’s are ok under the tank, etc , as long as they are amber or white.

I’ve been wanting the “back off” on my SVTC. I like the wig wag to 3 flashes and then solid. Of course not sure if I’d have to install a second one on the trailer or if it would work in tandem. I guess if would depend on where in the line you placed it vs where you tapped in for the trailer lights.
As far as the “colored lights” go, I like that my system has 22 million colors to choose from, so if there’s someone who wants to be a stickler about the color I can change them easily (app controlled). I also like the visibility in that no matter what color I’m running, they ALL go RED when I hit the brakes. It’s all about being seen, especially at night.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank

Thanks for the information. The lower brake light is solid so I think i will be ok. If not, so what. Safety is more important.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would like to add the flashing tail light as well as the rear turn signals to function as running lights to my 950 but want minimal wire splicing, what product do you all recommend?

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
If you add the Kuryayken triple whammy light kit it’ll cover all that you’re wanting to do. The early model 950’s were wired incorrectly, so be sure to check for that.

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
Please let us know how it works out for you, and send us some pics.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts