Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question :

Do any of you guys carry a bottle of Slime or Fix-a-Flat in the unfortunate event of getting a nail or screw in a tire when miles from home?

If so which product works best to at least get you home?

I searched the forums but didn't see much discussion...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Carry something. Having a flat in the middle of nowhere is a pain and can be dangerous. They only work with tubeless tires. Although I have put a can in a tubed tire and been able to make it to the nearest tire repair.
Good luck...

·
Registered
810 Posts
Some shops charge extra to change a tubeless tire with fix a flat in it. I would say, though, if you have an inner tube you would want to replace the tube anyway so fix a flat may be the way to go. But with tubeless tires I carry a plug kit and a small manual air pump like the kind that people carry on bicycles. If it's a really slow leak, a person could air up the tire, drive SLOW and stop periodically and top of the air just to get to the shop. I would use extreme caution, though, in the latter method, especially if you are in a hilly and curvy area, and you would need to monitor the tire closely in case it started leaking faster.

·
Registered
491 Posts
My wife and I have AAA Premium or Plus, whatever it is.. And it has paid for itself over and over.. Between me having project cars towed between my house and my parents/in-laws and to shops and what not. I plan on adding the Motorcycle coverage soon. I would highly recommend it.

In regards to your question, Slime should work in tubed or tubeless tires (they sell it for bicycle tires). Fix-a-flat will only work in tubeless tires. And as mentioned, some places HATE the tire sealer stuff. Primarily because if they are going to patch the tires (on the inside) they have to clean it out and it's a royal PITA. I know it's not recommended, but for a tubeless tire, I would carry around a patch/plug kit. Some people would argue that plugging a tire is stupid. But, if that's what it takes to get you out of a pinch and off the side of the road.... I have plugged dirt bike and cruiser tires before without any issues. I had a plug in the rear tire of one of my bikes for well over 6 months before I replaced the tire and didn't have any issues. Just remember if you plug it to keep a closer eye on the tire pressure..

eGo

·
Registered
33 Posts
I carry a slime kit that came with a small 12 volt compressor. I also carry a tire plug kit. So far I have not had to use it but I won't leave home without it. There are a lot of areas up here with no cell coverage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks All, very helpful and informative -

Time to check out if I have tubed or tubeless tires on the bike!!

I went with Progressive Bike Insurance and they offer included tow service,
so thats helpful - as long as there is cell phone coverage to call them!

Amazon sells those Slime kits and canisters for pretty cheap, so will get one of those to throw in the saddle bags as a safety backup.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks All, very helpful and informative -

Time to check out if I have tubed or tubeless tires on the bike!!

I went with Progressive Bike Insurance and they offer included tow service,
so thats helpful - as long as there is cell phone coverage to call them!

Amazon sells those Slime kits and canisters for pretty cheap, so will get one of those to throw in the saddle bags as a safety backup.
It'll be listed on your sidewall, but generally speaking, most spoked rims have tubes and most non-spoked rims have tubeless. But, there are rare exceptions.

·
Registered
845 Posts
1. At the least, carry a can of Fix A Flat. It self inflates and seals a flat tire. Its more hit or miss if you have tubes but at least it gives you a fighting chance. BTW, who cares if a shop gets upset or charges more to change a tire with it in? The object is to complete your trip and then get you to the shop!

2. If you have tubless tires, long trips (only)I also carry a plugging kit and small 12 volt compressor.

3. JOIN the AMERICAN MOTORCYCLE ASSOCIATION ! If you agree to automatic yearly renewal You get free nationwide towing. Its cheap, lobbys on bikers behalf, you get a magazine, membership card and free road service.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
The reason is that I don't like the mess it makes when I change the tire. I will use it if I have too but I would rather use a plug and fix the flat than use the slime. However it is good to have it on hand just in case it is needed. I have fixed more flats for others than I have for myself.
I have to agree, fix a flat, slime, etc.
Its great to have on hand in case of a flat, it can REALLY get you out of a tough place and on your way.

I prefer not to run it in my tires as a preventive though, only to be used in an emergency.
As a preventive it will work well but at the same time, I will not know if anything is piercing my tire because the slime will keep the air in, being I only have two tires on a bike, I think I rather know something is wrong first, then put the fix a flat or slime in to get me to a place where I can have the tire properly repaired or most likely replaced.

On the flip side .... As a preventive though it might help prevent a sudden blowout becoming too serious and help slow down the deflation. So I can understand some wanting it as a preventive.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The reason is that I don't like the mess it makes when I change the tire. I will use it if I have too but I would rather use a plug and fix the flat than use the slime. However it is good to have it on hand just in case it is needed. I have fixed more flats for others than I have for myself.
As someone that has changed tires for a living I can agree with you completely on this...BUT, if you look into the ride-on product it isn't like your typical "slime". (look at some of the videos online) It appears to be more of a paste that adheres and coats the center of the tire only. When you remove the tire there is no huge amount of sloppy nasty goop to clean up off everything.
I have never used it personally but will be replacing my tires soon and I have already purchased some for them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts