Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have a vstar 1100, is there a mm setting for the floats? The floats have been messed with and I’m rebuilding the carbs and want the floats back to correct setting! It’s a 2006 model classic! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
You could probably use clear tubing and figure where the top of the bowl is.

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
361 Posts
When you make the fuel level gauge, make sure you use large tubing for the part where you read the level.Just like in the drawing. If you use smaller tubing that fits the drain on the carb, it won't give you an accurate reading.
I don't know about the 1100 but on the 650 there is a line cast into the float bowl that you take the measurement from. If you can't find a cast line on the bowl, then use the top of float bowl.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
So if I’m reading this right, the level needs to be 4 or 5 mm above where the bowl mounts to carb with the carb in mounted position?
That is what the manual says. I haven't actually done it so i could believe others that have. I know sometimes there are better ways than the book. I might split the difference with someone that has done it.
I think it is in chapter 5
I am going to try to pm the manual
edit: pm sent

·
Registered
2003 V Star 1100 Classic, Bluish-Silver
25 Posts
I'm confused! The shop manual says the fuel level in the bowl should be 4 to 5mm above the line on the chamber when measuring with the clear tube method mentioned in the manual - which for a 1100, the reference line is the junction where the bowl meets the carb body. So it's saying that the fuel level is supposed to be above the rubber o-ring? That doesn't seem right.

Also, my Haynes manual says the fuel level should be "4 to 5mm BELOW the edge of the float chamber". Now, I've caught mistakes in both the shop manual and the Haynes manual. Which one is wrong here? It seems like the engineers wouldn't have designed it so the o-ring and bowl/carb seam would be submerged in gas most of the time....so that would mean the shop manual is wrong. Which is it?

Can someone please confirm? Is it 4 - 5mm above or below the seam?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I used the clear tube method and set em about even where the bowl meets the carb body, seems fine! Oh and I seen a 12 mm float height suggestion too and I set them to that and the fuel setting was WAY too high!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Also, for the 650, the manual says the fuel level should be 7.5 to 8.5mm BELOW the indicator line. I'm leaning toward believing this is an example where the 1100 service manual is wrong and it should say "below" like my Haynes manual and the service manual for the 650.

Can someone who knows definitively please confirm?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Okay, I'm 99% sure the shop manual is incorrect in saying the float should be adjusted so the fuel level is 4 to 5mm ABOVE the reference line (seam where the bowl meets the carb body). It should say 4 to 5mm BELOW that line. After reading and watching videos about bowl fuel levels on other carbs, including the 650's carbs, I've not seen one carb who's fuel level is supposed to be above the bowl. I was thinking that no team of engineers would ever go with a design that has a seam - sealed with an o-ring - that is constantly submerged in fuel (just asking for a dangerous fuel leak) when they could just make the bowl deeper or jets longer.

The KB references the shop manual about this clear tube test subject, so maybe this mistake should be noted on there.

BTW, this wouldn't be the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd mistake I've found in the shop manual. In fact, there's at least one more mistake in chapter 5. On page 5-2 and 5-3 the drawing shows the pilot jet being installed where the starter main jet goes, and the starter main going where the pilot should be.

Again, if I'm wrong, please someone correct me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts