Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flying out to Kansas tomorrow to pick up my 06 Strat and ride it back to Florida. Man, can't wait to get my hands on it. For those of you that didn't see the pics of the bike that I posted in the "New Members" section, check this out!

The seller sure put alot of time and money into this bike.

Fat Strat

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Lowers

They look like Bucks Lowers. I have Bucks Lowers and a stock windshield. I was in Florida for a short time, occassionaly it gets into the 90 here in Ohio. There is enough air to keep it bearable. The air hits the outside of my leg. You would not want anymore, That big engine makes a lot of heat. I went to the lowers to reduce turbulence behind the windshield.

I also have a soft lower I snap on my engine guard. Anything over 70 degrees is to hot.

Dave

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Got back into Florida last night. Great ride on a monster of a bike.

I left Topeka Wednesday night. Traveling east, I caught up to the rain storm that had pounded Topeka earlier in the afternoon, just east of Kansas City. The rain and mist coming off of the trailer trucks on I-70 lowered my visability to about zero. I decided that it was to dangerous to continue so I got a room for the night. The next morning I rode to St. louis where I met up with a friend of mine. He would ride a day with me, overnight, and return to St Louis the next day. Being a local guy and familiar with the area he was my tour guide. He lead me around to places that only local knowledge could provide.

We rode down the Missouri side of the Mississippi for quite a distance. He ( Fatboy) knew of a ferry that we could take over to Illinois. When we got to the ferry, the water was high and getting higher. Because of the high water the normal boarding area was submerged. A "Hough" had dropped a mound of gravel for the ferry to drop its' gang plank on. We had to get a running start at the gravel and once onto the gang plank, had to spin the rear wheel to get the rest of the bike onto the ferry. Getting off was the same thing, only reversed. The road leading away from the ferry was under water except for a three foot section of the crown.

We continued south along the river through Illinois, stopping occasionally to see historical sites and other points of interest. We crossed over into Kentucky and rode through the "Land Between the Lakes". We ended up south of Nashville where we got rooms for the night. In the morning we said goodbye and went in our respective directions.

In the morning I rode to Birmingham where my buddy Dave, who rode up from Florida, met me. We went to the "Barber Vintage Motorcycle Museum" for the day and then headed south towards Florida.

The bike performed perfectly. Once I figured out that this was a big, heavy, torque laden V-Twin that didn't like to be rushed like a sport bike, we settled into a rhythm for the long ride.

The rear sprocket is a 61 tooth Harley. This reduced the RPM's considerably. At 71mph the engine was turning 2500 RPM's. Because of the high gearing, acceleration wasn't as crisp as it could have been. And the roll on wasn't as spirited as it would have been with a 71 tooth, but with that being said, stretching out the gears to get up to speed, seemed as though the motor would pull forever. At about 3000 RPMS you gently snick it into the next gear and do it again. Shifting from fourth into fifth happened at 70 MPH.

The engine behaved more like a diesel than a gasser ( Hill!?? What Hill??? Chug Chug Chug ). With the throttle lock set at 70, the rolling terain had little effect on the cruising speed. Occassionally I'd have to give the throttle a little bit more twist.

The lowers are "Buck Lowers". Didn't notice any significant heat as a result of them being there.

GRof... The seat is a two tone Corbin, the fairing is made by "Wide Open Custom" and the bags are "Corbin Beetle Bags".

RWoods... the crash bars are Yamaha (or Star ).

Here's a few pics of the trip...

Here's how it looked when I first layed my eyes on it. Eye candy for sure!

This my buddy Kirk (aka Fatboy)

The ferry ...

My tour guide planning our next stop...

South along the river...

Crossing over into Kentucky...

"Land Between the Lakes"...

Well... I guess that's about it. Great bike, great trip, life is good!

See Ya!
Fat Strat

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AWESOME BIKE! I'm in South Florida. You'll have to let me know how hot it gets with those lowers. I've been considering them, but can't live with any more heat.
Hey bscarpenter,

You want to get cured of the heat sensitivity? Ride a V-Rod, "Night Rod Special" for about a week and then get back on your Strat. Problem solved. You'll think that the Strat has air conditioning.

The ride home from Topeka at times was in the 90's. The heat was not a problem. But then again I just got rid of a V-Rod and I still have a FJR both of which are known roasters.

Fat Strat

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like you had a good trip. Did you get good usage from the hwy pegs? Did they help? Do you recommend them at all? How about that fairing?
The fairing I couldn't ride without. The Klockwerks windshield worked beautifully, directing the wind up and around me. It creates a buffeting free pocket of clean air. The highway pegs ehh... while I did use them on occasion to allieviate pressure points on the "Ole posterior" it was an effort to keep the feet up there for any length of time. As far as recommending them, myself, I really don't know if I'd shell out the cash for them considering the amount of usage I'm going to get out of them. However, I see other folks who perch thier feet up on thier highway pegs as soon as the bike begins to roll. Matter of choice I suppose.

Later

Fat Strat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.