Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hope all is well.

I'll be replacing the fork seals, dust seals, and fork oil this week. I see that bolt located at the bottom of the fork is to keep the damper rod is place. Do i need to bother removing the damper rod or can i just leave it in there while doing my work.

In other words, is there a benefit in removing the damper rod when doing fork seal/oil work?

Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I thought it was in place to hold the tubes together but i guess its not. So Why bother removing it?

·
Registered
416 Posts
As I’m thinking about the bolts they have to come out or you will not be able to get the tubes out of the sliders. Make sure you put a drain pan underneath the fork as almost all of the fork oil will come out.

and if you’re in there might as well replace the seals and bushings better when you have it apart then to wished you did.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are your thoughts on aftermarket seals vs OEMs. The aftermarket ones (such as All Balls) are a fraction of the price and have a lot of positive feedback but i would absolutely HATE if the odd chance i get a bad seal and have to redo the entire job again.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I bought all of mine from parts giant and have had no failed ones I always buy the full kits all the seals and bushings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts