Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you had success with Fram oil filters?

I installed one recently into '05 Yamaha XVS650A and am wondering how well others like Fram.

Thanks. BTW I believe mine is PH6008. Does this sound right?

Will this filter be good for 8K miles before changing (as per manual)?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have used them on my 1300. I was using WalMart SuperTech St7317, but they stopped carrying them. I switched to using FramPH7317 and they were ok. No complaints. I have since gone back to OEM filters.

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
380 Posts
I wasn't lucky with the WIX ring. The filter worked pretty good, until one day I noticed an oil leak. I traced it to the oil ring. Luckily I had an OEM replacement ring in my garage, problem went away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fram is the worst oil filter on the market! Why is everyone pretending they are ok? Dont be penny wise and dollar foolish. Use OEM. I previously used Fram filters till a tiny pebble put a hole in my thinner than a hair Fram filter which pumped the oil out and blew up my engine. I was shocked at how thin the metal was. I did some research and learned Fram is the worst oil filter on the market-for all metrics. Thinnest casing, weakest spring, least and worst filter material, cheapest and worst o ring, lack of bypass valve (in most cases) so engine starves for oil once filter becomes clogged. Don't take my word for it. Go to YouTube and watch experts cut open various filters and see how they are made and compare the components. You will never use another Fram oil filter again and won't let your friends either. You can get away with their air filters but not the oil filters.

FRAM: Freaking Ruined Another Motor

1 - 9 of 9 Posts