Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was notified at work that HD is sponsoring a free MSF basic rider course to active or retired first responders, EMS, Firefighters and LEO'S. The course is Thursday and Friday evenings from 6pm-9pm. Saturday and Sunday mornings until noon. Week nights are class work, weekends are actual riding. HD states they will supply the bikes on the weekends, you must supply the riding gear. If you qualify, it's a $300 free course and reported to lower your insurance. Go to:ridefree.harley-davidson.com/americanheroes for more information. I've signed up for free and plan to attend in April. Just thought I'd share this whether you have a license endorsement or not. I'm all about free training, and it matters not what you own.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, it does apply to to active, reserve, or former with an Honorable Discharge. I know because it saved me this past July. Kinda felt guilty not owning or wanting a Harley but I got over it.:grin:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I was notified at work that HD is sponsoring a free MSF basic rider course to active or retired first responders, EMS, Firefighters and LEO'S. The course is Thursday and Friday evenings from 6pm-9pm. Saturday and Sunday mornings until noon. Week nights are class work, weekends are actual riding. HD states they will supply the bikes on the weekends, you must supply the riding gear. If you qualify, it's a $300 free course and reported to lower your insurance. Go to:ridefree.harley-davidson.com/americanheroes for more information. I've signed up for free and plan to attend in April. Just thought I'd share this whether you have a license endorsement or not. I'm all about free training, and it matters not what you own.
I guess that I am naïve. I thought that the MSF courses were free. I now believe it must be different state to state. Here in Pennsylvania all of the MSF courses are free to the participants. I assume the state subsidizes them. Good to see that HD sees the value and is willing to help.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's normally a $300 course according to HD. One of my coworkers saw the email posted locally and let me know about it. If it enhances my skills and lowers my insurance even a tad, it's well worth the time for me. I appreciate them doing this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
cut&paste DOT

What does it cost to take the BRC?

The BRC is FREE to Pennsylvania residents with a valid Pennsylvania driver's license or motorcycle permit.
The Pennsylvania Motorcycle Safety Program is funded through an additional fee that you pay when you obtain, renew or replace a motorcycle permit or license.
Out-of-state residents pay $250 to take the BRC.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
quarter45

She was the one that bugged ME to get these bikes. You see I was happy with my old Yamaha 650sp. and
she wouldn't ride on it no-mater what. When the temp gets to the 70's we will do a lot of over night trips, say 250/400 miles away.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back in February I'd posted about the free MSF course for Police, Fire, EMS, first responders, and active and retired military.
I completed the course today with a 95 avg. I learned some really good things, I improved on my u turns, and threshold braking. The course was put on by Southern Thunder HD of Southaven, Ms. The instructors were great, Steve and Marion respectively. The ladies in our class bonded well with Marion as she has a lot of riding experience. Steve is the energizer bunny, always on the go and very enthusiastic.
My first night I came directly from work and everyone stared as usual thinking I was there on LEO business, yet much relieved after knowing I was just a student. The GM greeted us and asked what we all rode. Of course was picked first, and replied that I owned two Yamahas, not boasting, but proud. For a brief moment it got very quiet, then as my other classmates told of the brand of bike they owned or were buying, things returned to normal. There were a few 'rice burner' off the cuff remarks, but we carried on. Class work was very informative and we'll planned.
The next night, Friday, I was able to change out of uniform, and wore my bright red Yamaha Racing hoodie. It was very chilly that night and I needed something warm. That night was also tour night of the dealership. Our tour guides were very nice, and upon viewing the service department, we were informed that they only work on HD's, and nothing else. Another tour guide said they don't try to resell any metrics that are brought in as trades, so they get rid of them asap, however if it's two wheels, then we're all family. As the tour ended with the display of their current inventory, and there were many great looking bikes, the tour guide told us that metric bikes have higher insurance rates than HD's, hence that's why we need to buy a Harley. I told him I have two metrics, and my insurance rates are the same if not less than my buddy that rides a sportster. He cleared his throat, and we moved on.
On Saturday and Sunday, we rode on the track and we used the HD 500cc bikes that are used in the courses. It had very decent power, but a bit small for me. The rear brake pedal was hard to find, yet the brakes after I found the pedal, were quite good. They were FI, and fired up right away. They were very nimble, and would be a good beginner bike.
We had an older couple in class that were really funny, and genuinely cared about each other, Pete and Evonne. Evonne struggled with the throttle and front brake lever most of the morning. Sadly as we came out of a turn, she tried to brake and hit the throttle tumping her bike over and broke her left leg. She's going to be ok, but Pete and her couldn't continue the class.
Sunday, today, we did a lot of track riding, specifically u turns, and braking. I've never been the best at u turns so it was very helpful.
For beginners and somewhat experienced riders, I'd highly recommend the course. Since it was free that was motivation, however I'm one that believes we can always improve our riding skills no matter our age or experience. I did get a certificate for being the oldest student, and now I can take my card to my insurance agent for my 10% discount. Ride safely everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Great job Keith! Thank you for sharing your experience this weekend. Stressing the fact that we ALL should continue improving our skills is so very important. Training our minds to react quickly to sudden situations should be first priority. Further, practice if only 15 minutes per day on one skill could save your life....I admire you as a seasoned rider to bravely become a model to our forum audience that others might feel prompted to follow your example. Thank you~YammyV

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the kind words yammyv and sonysnek, I truly believe you can never get too old to learn. Word is that Evonne is planning to complete the course once she's healed up. I love her spirit.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Yep, the BRC is free some places, and pay in others. It's averaging about $275 in Mass. And, in some states it's required to get your license, but not in all. Not required in Mass but you do get a discount on your insurance for the first five or six years I think it is. I believe if you then take the advanced rider course you get another insurance discount in Mass.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
T star, from what I understand, to get the course for free, it has to be the person that qualifies for it. Check with your local HD dealership as it varies state to state. It's worth looking into in my opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm a volunteer fireman, Volunteer EMT, former military, etc... but I've also already take the BRC years ago through the local tech college and obtained my Class M through them.

But it's been a few years since I've owned a bike, do you think they would think badly of me by taking advantage of this opportunity to take it as a refresher?

Also, one thing I'd like to ask HD to do next time, is also cover dispatchers. I'm not a dispatcher, but know a handful. They are a first-responder's lifeline, and deserve as much thanks as anyone out in the community.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Giant81, I don't see how it would be a problem. I agree with recognizing dispatchers. The majority of ours are our critical lifeline when we get a hot call, or when we're serving felony warrants. If you do take the course, make sure they're aware of your size. I'm 5' 11' and the 500cc Harleys we rode were small for me. Just a suggestion. Call your local HD dealership to verify your eligibility though, and let us know what they say.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts