Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For my trip from Dayton Ohio to Naples Florida, I knew I was probably pushing it leaving on a rear tire that had just under 6K miles on it. Well, I got a flat about 10 miles off the interstate in central FL - must have run over something while passing a slow moving truck. :( My roadside assistance got me to a shop back in Clearwater so, while waiting for them, I called the dealership in case I didn't make it to them before they closed for the night. While I'm on hold, instead of 'music', they're running an ad - about replacement tires: "We never charge labor for tire changes".

What??!! Not only that, I went to their website - they'll match any advertised tire price, print or web.

So, shoutout to RideNow Powersports, Gainesville FL. They did end up taking my bike in after hours (by about 15 minutes) although, they were still moving inventory into the building. They did 'bump' their scheduled work to get on my ride first thing the next day.

But my point is: how many of you have a dealer that does free tire installs? Last tire I bought (front on my 01 VStar 650) I paid 1 hour @ $95/hr. The dealer where I bought my Stratoliner charges $110/hr! It's almost worth it to drive to FL again for tires! :grin:

By the way - I did not 'shop' tire prices. I opened my wallet and gladly paid what they asked for the tire. They did me a solid, letting drop off after hours and squeezing me in so I could get back on the road - even though I missed the opening session of the business conference I was headed toward.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Great to see there are dealers out there who still care about customer service. It's too bad more of them don't realize how much word of mouth about helping out someone in your situation can increase their standing in the eyes of their potential customers. It may have cost them a little overtime and maybe a late supper, but it will pay for itself tenfold.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How did your trip around Atlanta go? Or did you close your eyes...roll your right wrist down and muscle through it?
It went really well! I looped around to the west, outside the 285 loop, hitting the north point around 8 AM. While I had some great suggestions, it was after I had already booked reservations (both ways) in Calhoun GA. Coming back, while I selected the same start and end points, I didn't notice that GMaps had selected the path closest to I-75... I ended up driving right by Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Still though, it wasn't that bad considering it was the 2 to 3 PM time period.

Overall, I enjoyed the entire trip. The flat was a bummer and, on the way back I had to spend an extra day in central FL (same place I was headed when I got the flat!) due to the thunderstorms predicted for all of GA the next day. Probably the biggest drag was the so-called 'love bugs' on the trip down. The last 200 miles down, I had to stop and clean the windshield 3 times. Fortunately, they were already decreasing significantly in numbers just 4 days later when I started for home. Will certainly take long, multi-day trips on the bike again!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,111 Posts
dealership where i bought my bike has been advertising free tire installs for the past couple years.

Well, I got a flat about 10 miles of the interstate in central FL - must have run over something while passing a slow moving truck. :(
prevent flat tires in the future by using Ride-On tire sealant. i found a nail in my tire once and never lost any tire pressure even after removing it:

https://www.ride-on.com

·
Registered
560 Posts
Wondering if that dealer in FLA is affiliated with the dealer close to you in Springfield, OH. Similar names.. Ride One Powersports right off of 70?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wondering if that dealer in FLA is affiliated with the dealer close to you in Springfield, OH. Similar names.. Ride One Powersports right off of 70?
I asked them about that. They had no idea about RideOne in Springfield (and Columbus) specifically but, they did say there was a parent company that owned a lot of dealerships. (I bought the bike at Ride One!) If a coincidence, it's a weird one.

So, RideNow has an overall website with a Dealer Locator. RideOne in Spfld is not associated with RideNow. Just a really close name!
https://www.ridenow.com/--locate-a-dealer

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Tires are one of those nebulous things that its hard to put a price on

did they mean they would match any dealer price? That is reasonable, and some dealers do not charge to put the tires on the bike if you buy it from them.

I would be surprised if they would match any website price, like Bikebandit with free shipping, and take the wheel off the bike and mount the tire on the rim and balance it for the same price for the same tire from a discount website.

They would be losing money... but I guess if the shop is empty and they are paying a motorcycle mechanic who has nothing else to do, then they would at least be getting some income for the price of the tire.

The yamaha dealer near me gets a discount/volume price on Dunlop and another brand tire, so I can get the tire from them for the same price as buying it online, but they dont have a 'deal' for Bridgestone tires, which is what I have been using for the last few changes, so I get the tires online, take the wheels off the bike myself, and carry them in. Its $40 per tire to have them mounted, and to dispose of the old tire.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Tires are one of those nebulous things that its hard to put a price on

did they mean they would match any dealer price? That is reasonable, and some dealers do not charge to put the tires on the bike if you buy it from them.

I would be surprised if they would match any website price, like Bikebandit with free shipping, and take the wheel off the bike and mount the tire on the rim and balance it for the same price for the same tire from a discount website.

They would be losing money... but I guess if the shop is empty and they are paying a motorcycle mechanic who has nothing else to do, then they would at least be getting some income for the price of the tire.

Oh. And I just caught you mentioned BikeBandit. Their price for that tire is $186.51. I was still better off getting a flat in Florida than replacing my tire before I left!

The yamaha dealer near me gets a discount/volume price on Dunlop and another brand tire, so I can get the tire from them for the same price as buying it online, but they dont have a 'deal' for Bridgestone tires, which is what I have been using for the last few changes, so I get the tires online, take the wheels off the bike myself, and carry them in. Its $40 per tire to have them mounted, and to dispose of the old tire.
Hey, I'm not trying to say I got the deal of the century here. And, I understand TANSTAAFL. But these guys pretty much had me over a barrel and, I got out the door for $236.62, tax and everything for a tire that Revzilla lists for $193.95. A Bridgestone Battlecruise H50, 180/60B17. Do they 'build in' tire change labor into their tire price? Maybe. Did I get screwed? No. They can have $42.67 labor.

Even if I could have gotten that tire at any of the 3 local places I've used, what's the Flat Rate Time for a rear tire R&R on a Stratoliner? 1 Hour? 1.5 Hours? At $95 or $110 per hour, I came out ahead of anything I'd been able to get at home, even if I could have matched the Revzilla tire price. Because my dealers here don't even have Flat Rate Tire Change prices - it's hourly labor. I guess maybe it just blows to own a motorcycle in Ohio.

Oh. I just saw you referenced BikeBandit. Their price for tire is $186.51. So, I'm still better off having gotten a flat in Florida than if I had replaced the tire at home before I left!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dealership where i bought my bike has been advertising free tire installs for the past couple years.

prevent flat tires in the future by using Ride-On tire sealant. i found a nail in my tire once and never lost any tire pressure even after removing it:
Clearly I need to move farther South to where there's more competition among shops!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ya, I was not impressed with the pricing I got in maryland for a tire, $100 higher than online pricing and then an extra $75 per tire to install.

I ended up only doing the rear tire, as that was required to pass inspection. I ordered and installed the front tire myself a few weeks later.

I'll likely not install a tire myself again, but just take the wheel off and take it in somewhere. Good to know Ridenow does that. They are local here to me, but they don't have anything in stock really that I'm interested in, so don't visit them too much.

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
If you buy a tire from Cycle Gear they will mount and balance for $25 plus normally they will match any on line price. There are a lot of Cycle Gears around. Or you can bring your own tire and price goes to $50. It's the cheapest place in Houston. It's not free but still a good price.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you buy a tire from Cycle Gear they will mount and balance for $25 plus normally they will match any on line price. There are a lot of Cycle Gears around. Or you can bring your own tire and price goes to $50. It's the cheapest place in Houston. It's not free but still a good price.

Well, hot damn! That's great to find out. There's one not 5 miles away from me. I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,111 Posts

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I'll likely not install a tire myself again, but just take the wheel off and take it in somewhere. ...
Ive changed front and rear tires once on my 650, and now I take the wheels to the shop because I do not have tire machine, or a good enough compressor to pop the bead back in if it takes more than 60psi.

Its good for everyone to change a MC tire at least once, esp if you have spokes with tubes. Now I know if I get a flat in the middle of nowhere Ive done it before and I can do it again with; a big C clamp, tire irons or big screw drivers and windex and shear willpower.

One of the reasons I got a second bike that is bigger and has cast wheels with tubeless tires is knowing a tubeless tire can be fixed with a plug, and get you to the next town or city at least, with nothing but the $10 plug kit from Walmart and a CO2 inflater or a good hi pressure (Morph) bicycle pump in your bag.

When I was sailing it took a certain level of confidence to be willing to sail over the horizon (25 miles away) and know you could sail back, without an engine on the boat. Same deal with taking long trips on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

Great place @lesblank! I have one about 40 minutes from me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts