Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I just installed my Freedom Performance Dual exhaust and here are my comments about the instructions. First, the pictures on the instructions were very blurry, which it made it difficult at times to understand what was being depicted. Luckily, I had these instructions electronically which are much clearer (the Denis Kirk website has an electronic version. If anyone needs it I can send it to you). Second, the instructions are silent on, what I believe are, some very important steps. Especially for the novice who needs a lot of hand holding. For example, the instructions say to remove the passenger foot pegs and then bolt the left side bracket to the frame. I thought that the bracket was going to be screwed in where the passenger foot pegs were but that is not the case. What the instructions don't say is that you need to remove the two allan bolt screws below the passenger foot rest and bolt the bracket there. It is obvious once you look at the bracket that there is no way that it could be bolted on where the passenger foot pegs were, but if included in the instructions, it would have saved me a few minutes of panic, thinking that they sent me the wrong piece.

Also, the instructions don't say what to do with the passenger foot peg mount after the bracket is installed. It is clear that the foot peg mount needed to be removed in order to put the bracket on but after that there are no instructions. At the end of the project, I found two spacers in the kit. This made me panic again, thinking that I'd missed a spacing in the install. I went through the instructions (no mention of spacers), thought hard, and realized that the spacers must be for the passenger foot pegs. I then tried to put the passenger foot pegs on with the left side bracket installed and it wouldn't fit without - you guessed it - two spacers. With the spacers, the passenger foot pegs went back on the bike without a problem but it would have been nice to have that explained in the instructions.

The instructions say to remove the left side passenger foot peg and bolt the bracket to the frame. Then, in the next step, the instructions say to do the same thing on the right side. Don't read this literally. You don't have to remove the right side passenger foot rest. What they meant to say was bolt the new bracket to the frame on the right side in the same place where your original muffler bracket was bolted. The pictures help clarify this but the instructions could be clearer.

Lastly, the instructions suggest adding Loctite (of your choice) to some bolts and anti seize to the O2 censor. I called Freedom Performance to ask if they had any suggestions as to the type of Loctite to use and they told me everything that I needed to install the pipes would be included with the package. I don't know if this is typical or just an oversight in my case but when I got the pipes there was no Loctite or anti seize.

In the end, the pipes look and sound great and with my Ivan's ECU re-flash and air intake mod, the bike runs very fast and very smooth. So far, I am very happy with these mods. I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Very good write up, thank you for taking the time.
I am thinking of adding pontoons to my bike right now, but that is another story.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Great additional information regarding your installation. I personally haven't seen a 'liner with true duals. Post up some pics when you get a chance if you don't mind.

Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some quick pictures I took. I'll take better ones and post them soon.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,617 Posts
Verrrrrry nice!!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I am waiting for a stand off shot with the saddlebags on, I like it now , I am afraid I will love it with the bags on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts