Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Question....

On Saturday, I've did a complete Oil Change on my 2001 V-Star Classic. I changed the Oil Filter also and have used 2,8L semi-synthetic 10W40 Oil. After i have driven about 100km now, I find the gear Shift not as smooth as it used to be, when the Engine is warm. It is some kinde of "fuddely" to find the "neutral" Position.

So i decided to do another Oil Change and switch to mineral Oil 20W50 as it is often recommended for the V-Star.

The Question is, is another Oil Filter Change absolutely necessary then? Because I've filled in 2,8L semi synthetic Oil 10/40 and without a Filter Change a would replace only 2,6L mineral Oil in 20W50. At least I won't go down on 5,- Bucks for another Oil Filter.

What do you say/recommend?

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
360 Posts
My manual says to change the oil filter every other oil change. Unless you found something unusual in the oil like shavings when you drained it - forget about it. You are fine.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would say it comes down to how anal you are. You holding about half a quart of oil in that filter, and that will mix into the new oil. For a normal oil change, that isn't much of an issue. But since you want to test a different type of oil, heh.

That being said, I likely wouldn't trash that oil filter, but reuse it again next time, after the test is done.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
the reason its hard to find neutral on your bike, the transmission shifts better when the output shaft is spinning (to the wheel) and that gear is turning.

the user manual says to shift down from 5th to 1st above 15mph when you are stopping. If you leave the bike in a higher gear, then try to shift down when the bike is not moving, the gears can be trying to slide teeth into teeth, and since they are not turning you can hit a spot where it wont shift.

also since the clutch is in the oil, when you have the clutch lever pulled it, there is still a slight drag on the clutch plates from the spinning oil putting a bit of torque on them.

I have found its best to down shift when stopping while the bike is still moving - and shifting down below 15 mph is hit and miss. Also for me its easier to hit neutral when the engine is not running. When Im going to park the bike then push it into the garage later, I hit the kill switch to stop the motor, then shift up from 1st to neutral (you can see the green light cause the key is still on). Shifting into neutral with the engine running is more difficult.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts