Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my vstar 1100 seems to have very narrow friction zone/clutch engagement range and it is when the clutch handle is almost fully closed. is this normal.

i am a new rider and i am trying to learn to make better slow speed turns use head/eyes, rear brake, friction zone, but on right turns with limited friction zone, i am havin some trouble. what is it like on other vstars and can it be adjusted and or improved

any further ideas for slow speed turning improvement. i practice and watch ride like pro, have been to msf class, other inputs/info also welcome.

thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 07 1100, and my friction zone is also very small. When I first bought my bike it seemed like the clutch was in or out. Not much play. Now I'm used to it. I have also taken the MSF class, and in my class we had Honda 250 rebels. They are very small bikes and (to be nice) have been around the block a few times. The friction zone on those were from a little off the handle, to almost all the way out. I had trouble with those because I was used to my bike. I have always had stick shifts in the cars that I've driven and every one is different. It takes time to get used to. It sounds strange, but just sit in your driveway and get used to the clutch. You will only get better with practice. Be safe!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
And to add to what he said above, the older your bike gets, i.e. the more mileage you put on it, you will notice that the friction zone widens a bit with time...Mine used to seem all or nothing when I first got it, but over time, its widened significantly...not sloppy mind you, just noticably wider than when I first got it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My wifes 2002 vstar 650 was the same way, found out all the 650's the clutch doesn't grab until the last inch or so. I bought a kit off ebay for $15 after researching the problem, and it works as advertised. All it involves is a spring and a steel tube, you unhook the clutch cable from the clutch housing, insert the spring and tube over the spring, hook the cable back up and adjust to your liking. Now it grabs like other bikes and has a larger friction zone, feels more like my 2009 vstar 950. If you want info where I got it(not me or anyone I know) I'll PM you with the info.

Mike

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wifes 2002 vstar 650 was the same way, found out all the 650's the clutch doesn't grab until the last inch or so. I bought a kit off ebay for $15 after researching the problem, and it works as advertised. All it involves is a spring and a steel tube, you unhook the clutch cable from the clutch housing, insert the spring and tube over the spring, hook the cable back up and adjust to your liking. Now it grabs like other bikes and has a larger friction zone, feels more like my 2009 vstar 950. If you want info where I got it(not me or anyone I know) I'll PM you with the info.

Mike
Thanks, i would appreciate the info, my bike is a 2000 vstar xvs 1100 custom

phil

·
Registered
5 Posts
If anyone has any info on the clutch kit to help with the friction zone on the 650 vstar please post. Just got one yesterday 2011 model for the wifey she stalls it out every time.. I ride the 950 vstar and there is quite a bit of difference..

Jack (KYJACK)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Lot of people on this forum have suggested the Clevver (esp. for 650's). I have an '06 1100 and have no issues with the clutch... yet :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm glad your brought this thread back from the graveyard. My GF has a 650 and the lever is almost completely out before clutch engages. Had the bike at the mechanic for several issues and asked him to adjust clutch to engage sooner. He made a slight adjustment but not much. I'll be watching for a response.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Lot of people on this forum have suggested the Clevver (esp. for 650's).
I'm glad your brought this thread back from the graveyard. My GF has a 650 and the lever is almost completely out before clutch engages. Had the bike at the mechanic for several issues and asked him to adjust clutch to engage sooner. He made a slight adjustment but not much. I'll be watching for a response.
+1 for that. Put a Clevver on my girlfriend's 650 and it made a world of difference. Adjusting the clutch cable won't change the size of the friction zone or how smoothly it engages, it will only change how much slack is in the cable.

·
Registered
167 Posts
+1 for that. Put a Clevver on my girlfriend's 650 and it made a world of difference. Adjusting the clutch cable won't change the size of the friction zone or how smoothly it engages, it will only change how much slack is in the cable.
Thanks for the info. I'll order one up and see if that makes it easier for GF. Just had to buy her a used Honda Rebel 250 due to the fact that she is just learning to ride after taking MSF class. She says 650 is a little to big right now and wants to learn on 250 first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts