Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon everybody,

I went on a ride on my 1100 custom and as I was riding I noticed the front brakes were not responding like they used to. When I squeeze the lever I can hear the front brakes making a little contact but not much. From the research I think there might be a hole in the brake line somewhere and it's not squeezing the front brakes like it should. Anyone have similar issues and fix it? Or does anyone know if there are other causes I should be looking for? Thanks in advance

-Ryan

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Yankee here's a few questions for you. Have you noticed a puddle of fluid around the front wheel? How's the brake fluid level? When is the last time it was changed? Was your bike stored for any amount of time? Could be an easy fix like changing the fluid out or a slightly harder job of changing a line or two. Let us know what you found out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Corsair,

I have my bike parked in my garage every night and there hasn't been any fluid near my bike at all. The brake fluid is higher than the sight window on the master cylinder. I don't know if the brake fluid has ever been changed but when I took it in the shop to have it lifted back up the mechanics bled the brake line, and my bike has not been sitting at all.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Did they bleed the front brakes as well? They are two separate systems. Why did they bleed them in the first place? Were you having trouble with them? Unless the system has been opened it should never need bleeding. Maybe your master cylinder is failing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if they bled both systems or not. That's what I was thinking was the master cylinder. It was weird because I had been riding it with no issues and then all of a sudden the front brakes stopped working like they should. Once I get off work I'm going to take a look at it and see what's going on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had an issue with the brakes on my old 82 750 Suzuki. Squeeze hard and you just were not getting good braking. I solved the problem. The lever presses on a plunger that operates the hydraulic cylinder to pressurize the caliper to squeeze the pads on the rotor. The lever moves against the plunger on somewhat of an arc. I little grease on the end of the plunger where the lever contacts made a huge difference. Wedge a flat screw driver between the plunger and lever and work a dab of grease in. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Coffee, I actually played with the plunger a little bit when I got home and after about 30 seconds the front brakes started responding again. I might go back and add some grease to it. Thanks for the good idea!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hmm, kinda sounds like a MC issue. I suppose you could bleed the system and add new fluid, see what you get from that. If that doesn't do the trick I'd think you either have an air leak or a bum MC.

Let us know what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts