Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

change everything, or just the diaphragm ?

• all rubber internals

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • brake line

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • fluid only

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the 2nd owner of an 05 650 with 7700 miles. When looking through the bike, I notice some rust on the front brake reservoir diaphragm steel retainer. Obliviously, there is or was some moisture and I need to change the fluid. I wonder about the wisdom of just spending the bucks upfront and change out all the rubber in the master, along with the brake line? Yamaha recommends every 4 yrs, and this is original. I also have read of a front brake lock up on line.

Overkill or wise?

thanks,
larry

·
Registered
342 Posts
If it was me, I'd change out the brake line for a braided SS one and change the fluid. Brake fluid should be changed out about once a year since it does absorb water.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought my 05 650 last year and one of the best things I did was to totally flush out the brakes system and replace the pads. I would have replaced the rubber brake line, but after going thru the bike, it seems to be fine. Probably will replace it next year.

Over the past 40 years of riding, I have always done a complete flush of my hydraulic lines every winter. It is just a part of my usual winter maintenance routine. It is simple and cheap insurance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, just talk to the local stealer ( went in to compare prices). He suggested just a flush! I asked about the Yamaha changing very few years and he said yup, the lawyers wrote it that way. When I told him he talked me out of 100$ of part, he said he'd rather have my trust and sell me other things!

I may be a sucker, but I appreciate his honesty.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know your mechanical aptitude, but you do realize that flushing the fluid is actually easier than changing your oil? All you need is 2 tools, a piece of clear plastic tubing that fits over the bleed nipple, a container to catch the old fluid and a container of new brake fluid. It is a little easier if you have someone else to squeeze the brake lever and top up the master cylinder as required. But you can do the whole thing yourself.

Job can be done in less than 15 minutes, and that would be for someone that has never done it before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts