Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiancé has a 2000 V star 650 classic and I can't get the front end aligned properly, when the wheel is straight the triples and handlebars are cocked left.

I've tried loosening the triple tree clamp bolts and turning the bars to see if the forks would just "snap" into the correct position. This did not help.

So now I'm starting to think one or both of the forks may be bent, or maybe the front axle could be bent. Is there anything else anybody on here might think could be causing these issues before I start throwing money at ebay for replacement parts?

I appreciate any help or ideas!

·
Super Moderator
6,757 Posts
Hi Bradley, was her bike wrecked previously? I'm certainly no mechanic, yet I'm inclined to think one of your forks has been bent based upon what you're describing. I'm sure you'll get more intelligent replies than mine, but I wanted to try to help. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bradley, was her bike wrecked previously? I'm certainly no mechanic, yet I'm inclined to think one of your forks has been bent based upon what you're describing. I'm sure you'll get more intelligent replies than mine, but I wanted to try to help. Please keep us updated on your progress.

I'm sure it's been down pretty good in the past since it has a rebuilt title. Bent fork is what's running through my mind as well. I can get a set of forks off eBay for about $200 but there is no guarantee those are going to be straight either. But going that route with still be cheaper than having a stealership check it out I suppose.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Before you start throwing money or making guesses, why don't you just pull the forks out, as well as the front axle, and check them?

The forks are held together by a couple of pinch bolts and the fender in between the two. Before you get to them, you'll need to pull the front axle which is straight forward. 15 minute job and no special tools required.

From there I'd check the bars or risers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before you start throwing money or making guesses, why don't you just pull the forks out, as well as the front axle, and check them?

The forks are held together by a couple of pinch bolts and the fender in between the two. Before you get to them, you'll need to pull the front axle which is straight forward. 15 minute job and no special tools required.

From there I'd check the bars or risers.

It's a very easy job to do, but she just got her endorsement and shoots me death glares when I tell her I wanna take it apart.

I've obviously rode it to make sure it's not about to fall apart on her or anything, it's more of an annoyance to me, she doesn't even care. Too busy smiling.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
My fiancé has a 2000 V star 650 classic and I can't get the front end aligned properly, when the wheel is straight the triples and handlebars are cocked left.

I've tried loosening the triple tree clamp bolts and turning the bars to see if the forks would just "snap" into the correct position. This did not help.

So now I'm starting to think one or both of the forks may be bent, or maybe the front axle could be bent. Is there anything else anybody on here might think could be causing these issues before I start throwing money at ebay for replacement parts?

I appreciate any help or ideas!
you have to loosen the big crown nut on the top tree, then kick the front tire straight to align the tire to the bars then really crank down on the crown nut, if you don't loosen that crown nut you'll never get it right, something like we used to do on bicycles. the forks are locked into each other through the axle bolt so you can't twist them, just make sure they are the same height above the top tree, what happened on your bike is the top tree got out of alignment to the bottom tree

·
Super Moderator
6,757 Posts
I can see where you're coming from. If the eBay seller has high marks, they may be willing to guarantee their forks, just a suggestion mind you. Keep us updated on what you decide on. I may be looking at rebuilding some wrecked bikes in the future.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I know I have a set of lowers, I may have a tree and possibly uppers as well. Let me know if you end up needing anything and I'll check my stock. Might be able to save you some money....

It's usually pretty obvious if the uppers are bent. If they look good, it may just be the tree.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you have to loosen the big crown nut on the top tree, then kick the front tire straight to align the tire to the bars then really crank down on the crown nut, if you don't loosen that crown nut you'll never get it right, something like we used to do on bicycles. the forks are locked into each other through the axle bolt so you can't twist them, just make sure they are the same height above the top tree, what happened on your bike is the top tree got out of alignment to the bottom tree
I will give this a shot, maybe I'll get lucky!

I know I have a set of lowers, I may have a tree and possibly uppers as well. Let me know if you end up needing anything and I'll check my stock. Might be able to save you some money....

It's usually pretty obvious if the uppers are bent. If they look good, it may just be the tree.
If the above doesn't work I'll definitely get in touch with you. thanks to both of you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts