Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
About a month ago i purchaced new Dunlop tires for my 1100 custom, installed and balanced by a bike shop. Problem is that at 50 mph. I get a slight bounce(i think). At 60ish i get the vibration that has always existed since i purchased the bike no biggie. I have had them rebalanced air pressure according to manufactures specs. had the bearings looked at, i also had the spokes checked and i still have the shaking. Not dangerous or scary, just agrivating. Is it the tire. HELP!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello all,
About a month ago i purchaced new Dunlop tires for my 1100 custom, installed and balanced by a bike shop. Problem is that at 50 mph. I get a slight bounce(i think). At 60ish i get the vibration that has always existed since i purchased the bike no biggie. I have had them rebalanced air pressure according to manufactures specs. had the bearings looked at, i also had the spokes checked and i still have the shaking. Not dangerous or scary, just agrivating. Is it the tire. HELP!
Have you ever synchronized the carburetors? If not, I'd have it checked or you can do it yourself. Building a manometer is really easy. I check mine all the time with a home build manometer. If both carburetors are out of synch, the bike will have a vibration. My bikes carburetor's was out of synch the day I bought it. And I'm the first owner of it. So, I built a manometer and synchronized both carburetors via the synch screw (7mm wrench) and the vibration is gone. :cool:

Here is a link to building a manometer. The link says use 1/8" ID hose, use 3/16" ID hose. Also, if you have some old carb jets lying around, put them in the tubes. That will calm the oil down when you are trying to synchronize the carburetors.

http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

·
Registered
18 Posts
Front end issues and Fork Brace?

Hello all,
I know this is an old thread ,but the same thing happened to me with an 05 custom. Old tire was bouncing and had uneven wear. Got a new tire and wheel balanced checked, forks redone new seals oil, the bearings all check out and today I synced the carbs. Boy were they out. The front one was pulling the fluid straight into it. It is great now. Engine pulls smoother and starts when engine is normal temp easier. I occasionally notice a lite oscillation and it isn't really consistent but seems to happen more often around 45 and sometimes when going into a turn. Thinking about getting a fork brace and trying that. Anyone have any experience with a fork brace?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jacked the bike up today and decided to check the wheel and tire for myself. Used a jack safety stand laying a tire gauge on it crossways almost touching the rim and it looks like it runs true. Placed the stand in front of the tire just clearing the tread to allow it to turn freely and found a slight flat spot about 3 inches in length. Looks like a new tire is in order soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
got the same problem at 45 to 50 the whole bike goes up and down. dunlop 404 i had it spin balanced and i'm going to live with it for this year the place that spun balanced gave me a price of 175.00 for a new tire, thats good money if you can get it
Wow. I have never had this problem with any tire or bike in my 30 plus years of riding. I was thiniking about getting the Dunlop as a replacement. Maybe not now?
Mybe the Bridgestone L309? I'll have to look around.

P.S. If they will mount a tire you bring in you can get the tire for a lot less than that from say Dennis Kirk.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Don't buy another dunlop 404! Junk. And I read some very bad reviews on it as well. Unfortunately after I bought it. I just replaced mine on front with a Perrelli Route 66 and the difference is like night and day. And I think I paid less than $100 for it. Yep, just looked. I paid $92.88 for it from Chaparral Motorsports. So far I love it. That dunlop never felt right from time i put it on, and I'll never buy another. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
i've been using dunlops on the front and pirelli route 66 on the back.i get 11,000 miles on them both.i've never had this problem before, i always get my tires online and i know a guy in town who will mount for $25.00, the dealer who did the balancing wants $45.00 to change a tire thats a half hour labor charge. but then he wants $120.00 for a dunlop 404 which goes online for$75.00. on the other hand he balanced it for free

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.