Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
My front forks on my recently acquired bike were showing signs of age, like the owner 馃榾. It's raining today, I'm off and honey do list completed. So I decided to work on the cosmetics of my front forks. The clear coat had gotten sand blasted off and looked really bad. I used sandpaper starting at 320 grit, then some emery cloth and then metal polish. I know there have been several written about this before and just wanted to share. I'm 90% done, looks a lot better.

Before picture.

Lower half done.

90% done.

I hear my chair calling me so I will finish later. Look better?

Registered
you been running time trials on the Salt Flats again?!

I have an OCD neighbor a few houses down. I know if I ever stopped by and said something like "your trees are all uneven and rough and mossy"

he would be out there sanding the bark off the trees right down to the wood
then put 3 layers of polyurethane on them....

once you start polishing the shiny metal, there is no end to it!

BTW, I like the lawyer weazle words on the disclaimer sticker on your crash bar...

cant see all of it, but guessing its something like "THIS CRASH BAR will not really protect you in a CRASH"

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #3
you been running time trials on the Salt Flats again?!
This is what Texas concrete interstate and age does. Wonder if sand paper and polish will work on my body?

Registered
now that you mention it, the highways are not paved with asphalt in texas, are they?

I just looked on google earth, concrete! that is rough!

Registered
Looks amazing Les. Let me know if it works on you (I've got a few old age blemishes I'd like to polish up too :wink:)

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #7
Looks amazing Les. Let me know if it works on you (I've got a few old age blemishes I'd like to polish up too :wink:)
Got about half way through with trying same technique on my face, what do you think? ����

Registered
Damn, I think you better patent your technique. You're sitting on a gold mine there! :wink:

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #10
Second side done. Well done enough for now. Overall looks 90% plus better. I'm happy with it for now. I'll still need to detail a little better.

Before:

After:

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #12
About an hour a side. First used 320 grit, then 1500 emery cloth, then Blue Magic metal polish. I've used this polish for years with good results. Still have some fine line scratches but a little more polishing will get rid of that. I got tired polishing. I did it all by hand. It was too close to painted parts to use power tools, at least I didn't want to.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #15
Working on classic cars throughout the years I've polished a lot of aluminum and alloys. Some are a harder material than others. The softer the material the easier it polishes. Car valve covers are soft and polish quickly. The fork legs are pretty hard and polish slower. Anyone doing this, protect the newly polished surface pretty quickly. The newly exposed material will oxidize quickly. The manufacturer puts clear coat on them for protection. But over time the clear coat deteriorates. In the past I've used a good wax for protection. Works good but must be reapplied often. Also, once the clear coat had been removed and metal polished it's much easier to repolish when needed. This technique will work on any aluminum / alloy. Can be a little time consuming but the part looks as good as new and sometimes better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts