Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.. I just pulled my fork springs out and measured them. They are 16mm longer than the 284mm specification that they are meant to be.. is that enough difference to be causing my sagging / nearly bottoming out issue?? Thanks..

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Well if they are longer that should help and not cause bottoming out. You didn't mention preload tubes which sit between the spring and cap. Usually there is a large dianeter washer at both ends of the tube also. The length of this tube sets your suspension height. Progressive just sends out a piece of Schedule 40 (thickwall) PVC pipe. You cut it to length depending on rider weight to set suspension at approx 1/3 compressed travel with the rider in normal traveling gear sitting on bike.

Inside the fork its spring washer tube washer cap

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. In the information I have here it says if the spring is longer it needs replacing. When a spring is compressed over time it would stretch and actually be longer when there is no load on it? Does this sound right?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
First off I got to thinking about this and maybe your fork springs are too long. Too much spring coils run into each other and it bottoms out too early. Compressing a spring for a long time will not make the spring longer, it will make it not stand as tall. It sounds like someone has swapped springs for whatever reason.

My advice is to get a set of stock OEM springs. You'll still need the preload tubes. You'll need less than a quart for each leg, maybe 20 ozs. I'm not sure about using engine oil because of seal compatability. Use 20w or 10wt fork oil, fill to about 4" from top of tube with fork fully extended when finished. Start slow so you don't overfill pump the forks full travel about 10 times to get air out, then set the 4".

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Nick LOL I believe youre right... I wrote that even as I was sitting here thinking that's alot of oil and where does it go when you compress the oil... To reiterate its fully compressed not extended when you measure the oil.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts