Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Can anyone explain to me how to drain the fork oil out and refill on my 06 yamaha 650 v star custom? I am asking this question because it seems to have sagged in the front a fair amount and close to bottoming out when riding.. I have been told to replace the oil but in saying that there has been no oil leaks so it should still have plenty of oil them.. could this be springs instead? Thanks

·
Registered
794 Posts
No idea on the technical details of your problem but theoretically you are supposed to change the fork oil every year anyway sooooo.....

I often find that searching youtube give me answers to this kind of "how do I do that" question that supplement any answers the mechanically minded gurus of this site give :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok.. I was leaning towards just doing the springs anyway.. it just didn't seem like a common problem and thought it would take alot before springs would fail..

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You'll probably want to change the fork seals too. Usually there is some leakage which can lead to poor fork performance. I've never seen an issue with the springs on a V Star, however some riders to prefer to put in Progressive springs which are a little stiffer. It's usually always the fact that the oil is extremely dirty and that some of it has leaked out. The V Star 650's are pretty soft in the front even new...so any loss of fluid just makes it even worse.

I always tear the forks apart when changing the oil, however some just pour the old oil out after removing the top cap. IMO that gets the oil out but leaves all the crap in the bottom.....and there is always lots of that...even after a couple years of use.

HERE is a link on how to do 1100 forks which are identical to the 650.

That should get you going..... it's a pretty easy job if you take your time and follow the directions....just plan a full day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts