Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok as previously posted in HELP!! I stated there was a small leak on the left side pulley cover...So last night I fully removed the cover and verified the pulley nut is looks and this is the source of the oil leaking.

NOW, just need a few inputs on how to fix this...
A) Do I need to change the seal now as well?
B) Do I need to loosen the belt tension?
C) What do I torque the nut to after applying Loctite?
D) Any other helpful hints or things I missed?

Thanks a lot all in advance this will be the first real thing other than fluid changes I have attempted on the motorcycle and still learning. I am a diesel mechanic so I am mechanical, just never worked on any motorcycles before..

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You will most likely eventually get the answers you seek from other posters but I will make the suggestion to get your hands on a repair manual. It will detail everything you have already asked in both threads. Also checkout the roadstar forum. Sorry I don't have a direct link. Tons of info there directly for the roadie.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well everyone I need some more help...Reading along in other forums I am now scared there may be more damage and work than just a simple retorque... Can anyone help me out and tell me how to check the bearings behind there or what to look for ??? Any play or whatever I need to check?? There was a lot of fluid leaked along with some red powder like material in it?

Should I be worried or just retorque and hope the best?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I think tonight I am going to clean everything under the cover the pulley etc...Then remove the nut and add red Loctite, then retoqrue it to 61 ft lbs...So hopefully I don't need a new seal or new bearings or anything else that go on the backside of the pulley...

If anyone thinks thats wrong or could cause damage please speak now so I know not to do it after work haha...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If the shaft seal behind the pulley is leaking then all the locktite and torque you want on the nut isn't going to stop the seal from leaking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same problem with my 05 R* last fall. I took it to a local shop and had them replace the seal and re-torque the nut. They also said the belt was tensioned too tight. So with that said I'd replace the seal just to be on the safe side and to prevent having to
go thru all the labor again should it still leak. Don't forget to check the belt tension and
to check the final drive lube level too. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well last night I took the cover off decided to fully clean inside so no more trace of leak and then I torqued the nut but I didn't Loctite it yet.. After talking with a motorcycle mechanic he said the leak could be just from it being loose and not necessarily a bad seal.. So it is now really clean in there and now that its torqued I drew a paint line so I can see if it backs off again.. In a few days I will remove the cover again and see if still leaking, if so I will break down and replace the seal and then Loctite the nut on..

Thanks again everyone for the comments and tips..I have also sent in to join the roadstarclinic forum since they also have a lot of good info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Road Star Clinic

Thanks again everyone for the comments and tips..I have also sent in to join the roadstarclinic forum since they also have a lot of good info.[/QUOTE]

Did you have any luck? I have sent a few requests, I guess they just dont like me. lol

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well last night I took the cover off decided to fully clean inside so no more trace of leak and then I torqued the nut but I didn't Loctite it yet.. After talking with a motorcycle mechanic he said the leak could be just from it being loose and not necessarily a bad seal.. So it is now really clean in there and now that its torqued I drew a paint line so I can see if it backs off again.. In a few days I will remove the cover again and see if still leaking, if so I will break down and replace the seal and then Loctite the nut on..

Thanks again everyone for the comments and tips..I have also sent in to join the roadstarclinic forum since they also have a lot of good info.
If you didn't Loctite the nut, it's almost sure to back off. I used red on mine. A lot.

Also, there is a lock washer that bends over two flats of the nut but you didn't mention one. You've got one in there right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your seal & o-ring are shot, you should change them. Go to bike bandit and you can see an exploded view of you MDU, That's Middle Drive Unit for those unfamiliar. There is a seal and an O-ring that needs replaced Parts # 22 & 23. This is not a hard repair, but very needed, if you leak your fluid out, those gears and drive chain on the other side (which resembles a car timing chain) will go dry and then you'll be in deep doo doo.

After the repair, red loctite your pulley nut and torque it down tight.

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2008-yamaha-road-star-dark-purplish-blue-metallic-l-xv17awxl/o/m144866#sch643697

If the page doesn't load right it's under, Transmission - OEM Parts - Middle Drive Gear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Once I get the pulley off and our of the way, how does 22,23,and 24 get removed? Will it be pretty obvious?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The o-ring slides over the shaft, then the spacer kinda sets into the seal. My spacer #24 was fine, I just replaced the seal & o-ring.

My pulley nut came loose while i was on the highway and ground my shaft to a point. I ordered a whole MDU from flea bay, and used the parts I needed to make it right again. The Seal & O-ring were the only extra parts I had to order.

Both Metric bike shops I went too told me $1500 and my engine had to come out. I was down less than 5 days, 4 of that was waiting on parts,lol.

The MDU is a transfer case, it is it's own sub unit to the bike. The top half is our oil tank for the engine, the right side holds and pumps the gear oil to the chain and sprockets. In retrospect I wish I would have changed the entire MDU intact. It would have taken about 4 more hours, but I was in a hurry.

Study the picture on bike bandit, it is very simple.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On the older bikes, there is a tabbed washer that needs folded over, on the newer bikes the nut has a sleeve on the outer edge that stakes on to the shaft. Make sure you have one or the other and as suggested use red loctite. I still check mine at least once a year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts