Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being weather has been sucking for weeks, I am doing maintenance.
Noticed that belt adjusters were not lined up equal on both sides so I ordered a belt tension gauge and going to get the alignment correct.
I figured I will check the front pulley nut, use locktite.
I know different years use different torque and not getting a definite answer.
I think it's 89 ft lbs for an 07 1700 but not sure. Can anyone confirm this?
Looking online for a PDF service manual but not finding what I need. I probably will have to order a hardcopy instead.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,872 Posts
The online 1700 manual says it covers the following models:

Here's link:
RsWarriorDocs.com › manualsPDF
Web results
XV1700 Service Manual

Shows 72 foot pounds for front drive sprocket:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
5,872 Posts
From what I read, yes.

·
5,872 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you purchase your service manual through this site?

·
5,872 Posts
It's a free PDF download. Just google "Yamaha 1700 repair manual". For some reason the direct link doesn't want to copy and paste here correctly, I'm sure it's user error. :eek:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a free PDF download. Just google "Yamaha 1700 repair manual". For some reason the direct link doesn't want to copy and paste here correctly, I'm sure it's user error. :eek:

View attachment 91717
That's for a warrior though.
I guess all the torque specs are the same though I reckon.

·
5,872 Posts
I thought the same at first. Then I looked up which models used the same repair manual and is why I posted this screenshot. What's in my feeble mind is difficult to put into words at times. :unsure:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok nut wasn't loose.
It took an impact to get the nut off probably because the collar was crimped in the grooves.
I cleaned threads on nut and shaft, used red locktite and torqued to 72.
Checked it with 2 torque wrenches.
Looks like factory had it tighter than 72 because it looks like the crimp is about a 1/4 turn off from where it was.
Is this something I should worry about?

·
5,872 Posts
If tightened to torque specs with lock tight, I'd call it good.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called dealer and they looked it up from their spec book. 85 ft lbs so I backed it back off before the locktite set up, cleaned the shaft and nut with brake cleaner on a rag, reapplied locktite and torqued back to 85.
The nut did not line up with either places where it was crimped before.
I staked the nut and calling it good.
Now I am waiting for my tension gauge to arrive and should be here by Friday so I can make sure the belt is correct without guessing!

·
5,872 Posts
Found some interesting info on the difference in toque spec. There is an original nut style and a new nut style. The original nut has a collar on it to stake and has a torque specs of 72. The new style nut style is more like a regular nut with spec of 85. Guess the nut with built in staking collar requires less torque to meet specifications.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I heard it was opposite. The collar that gets staked is new and the nut with lockwasher is old style.
That pic looks like the staked nut.
The washer was stamped "out" and looks like that washer in the diagram you posted.
Who knows right? Either way I am at 85, locktite and staked.
I don't think it's coming loose now.
My OCD got the best of me today!

If my alignment marks are exact on both sides of the adjusters, is the belt supposed to be perfectly aligned on the center of the rear pulley?
I have a about a 1/16 gap to the outside of the pulley and about a 1/8 gap on the inside towards the rim.
That's the way it was before I took it apart and did not look like it had any glazing or damage to the belt.

·
5,872 Posts
Main thing is either way with the lock tite it's not coming off. How dare them change things and confuse us. :unsure:

From my experience no belt runs dead middle. As long as it's not rubbing on one side or the other I've been told its good.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Main thing is either way with the lock tite it's not coming off. How dare them change things and confuse us. :unsure:

From my experience no belt runs dead middle. As long as it's not rubbing on one side or the other I've been told its good.
They probably make the pulleys slightly wider so the belt can slightly move back and forth during under load, acceleration and deceleration.
Should mount my go pro pointed at the belt and pulley and see what it does.

·
5,872 Posts
OCD, no way. ;)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I got my tension gauge today.
Made belt adjustment a snap.
Adjusted on side stand.
Belt is almost 9mm slack.
Adjusters are equal on both sides.
Belt is not exactly centered on rear pulley but there is air gap on both sides.
One side about 1/16 and the other about an 1/8.
IMG_20200221_190455596.jpg

Is this ok? My OCD is kicking in again.
IMG_20200221_190333318.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts