Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my people with stratoliner or roadliners ,,my current 14 strat deluxe has 130/70/18 on the front I would like to go wider maybe a 140 will this fit, I currently have 200 55zr 17 night dragon rear tire I wish I could have gone wider on the back. Any idea 馃挕 on this?

Registered
Reaction score
If you have enough clearance with the fender and forks, the rim is wide enough but you may not like the heavier steering. The rear rim is not wide enough to support a wider tire and will not have a good tread profile for handling or mileage.

Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have enough clearance with the fender and forks, the rim is wide enough but you may not like the heavier steering. The rear rim is not wide enough to support a wider tire and will not have a good tread profile for handling or mileage.
The heavy steering is something I had not considered,,the stratoliner is a little front heavy as it is was thinking of my cross country trip. But now I concur. Thanks for the input 馃憤 smokey Fraser56

Registered
Reaction score
I went with the Metzler 888's stock size front (it's actually wider than the original) and a 200/55-17 rear as that is what is available (Metzler recommends a wider rim). These tires work great with light, stable steering and great all around ride/handling. I was expecting to get an increase in mileage from them over the stock but it seems to be the same for me ( I tend to be hard on tires), but will be staying with them because of the handling improvement. The night dragon probably feels similar as they are made by the same parent company.

Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went with the Metzler 888's stock size front (it's actually wider than the original) and a 200/55-17 rear as that is what is available (Metzler recommends a wider rim). These tires work great with light, stable steering and great all around ride/handling. I was expecting to get an increase in mileage from them over the stock but it seems to be the same for me ( I tend to be hard on tires), but will be staying with them because of the handling improvement. The night dragon probably feels similar as they are made by the same parent company.
I am going to look into the Metzler 888 on the front Indian is now installing the night dragons on the new bikes. I use a balance and sealer in my tires no more flat tire for me..
Tire Liquid Automotive tire Fluid Bottle

Registered
2005 Road Star Midnight, 2004 Royal Star Midnight Venture, 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe Midnight
Reaction score
Huh... never saw that stuff before, if it works as suggested, that could save your life. I had a front-end blow-out one time, there was good and bad in that situation... the bad is I almost died... the good is I got to watch a 3 second highlight reel of my entire life.

Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Huh... never saw that stuff before, if it works as suggested, that could save your life. I had a front-end blow-out one time, there was good and bad in that situation... the bad is I almost died... the good is I got to watch a 3 second highlight reel of my entire life.
That's wrong in so many ways..lmao 馃槙 glad you made it through you must share that experience with the whole class won't you..no really share that with us, start a new post when things go wrong
Or something like that. 馃憤

Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well,,looking at the pirelli night dragon front tire they offer a 140/70/18 front tire, I looked at mine I don't think it will fit can't get my fingers between the oem tire so I don't think I will try it, but they do offer a 130/70/18 night dragon front tire pirelli seams to be just a little wider than oem, I never replace both at the same time, 150 miles apart do too the slip and slide affect. Scuff one then another...

Registered
Reaction score
The Night dragon is probably the same carcass but with a different tread pattern than the 888 and wider than the stock Bridgestone even though listed as the same size. The 888 really lightened up the steering and handling with absolutely no loss of stability. Hopefully the Pirelli's will do the same for you.

Registered
2005 Road Star Midnight, 2004 Royal Star Midnight Venture, 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe Midnight
Reaction score
I have not completely given up on Whitewall Tires for my Stratoliner Deluxe, but dang it is a hard hunt... not very many options available.

Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have not completely given up on Whitewall Tires for my Stratoliner Deluxe, but dang it is a hard hunt... not very many options available.
If don't need to replace your tires yet keep shopping for them I bet you get a lot of help here, I know from time to time when I am bored I search for them for you actually quite a bit, in fact tomorrow iam going to stop by a bike shop and ask about them, I stop by the local Indian dealer looking at new bikes just to see new designs and asked about them I got a umm let do some research on that they have to be around somewhere ..

Registered
Reaction score
If don't need to replace your tires yet keep shopping for them I bet you get a lot of help here, I know from time to time when I am bored I search for them for you actually quite a bit, in fact tomorrow iam going to stop by a bike shop and ask about them, I stop by the local Indian dealer looking at new bikes just to see new designs and asked about them I got a umm let do some research on that they have to be around somewhere ..
You rock, brother! Much appreciated!

Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reason I changed the rear tire is I threw the weights and didn't know it I tried to save the tire but it was too late,
Tire Wheel Automotive tire White Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The reason I changed the rear tire is I threw the weights and didn't know it I tried to save the tire but it was too late,
View attachment 124122

Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The reason I changed the rear tire is I threw the weights and didn't know it I tried to save the tire but it was too late, View attachment 124123
View attachment 124122
When I took it in to the shop for dismount service manager said oh wow from across the shop come here and look at it I said I don't need to here catch I rolled it across the shop it wobbled all over the place they all laughed 馃槄 that must be fun to ride over 35mph heck yeah you should try 65 or 70 on the interstate
I had to exit and take city streets home . Still shaking from nearly losing it and I am use to horses trying to throw me. But that ridiculous 馃檮

Premium Member
'18 SVTC
Reaction score
When I took it in to the shop for dismount service manager said oh wow from across the shop come here and look at it I said I don't need to here catch I rolled it across the shop it wobbled all over the place they all laughed 馃槄 that must be fun to ride over 35mph heck yeah you should try 65 or 70 on the interstate
I had to exit and take city streets home . Still shaking from nearly losing it and I am use to horses trying to throw me. But that ridiculous 馃檮
Just curious, do you think you threw the weights and then the tire cupped, or did the tire cup so bad that it threw the weights? What brand/model is the bad tire?

Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
Reaction score
Don't forget, worn suspension, (shocks, forks, bushings, etc.) will also cause tire were.

Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just curious, do you think you threw the weights and then the tire cupped, or did the tire cup so bad that it threw the weights? What brand/model is the bad tire?
No I threw the weights first tire still had along way too go at least a couple of thousand miles before it went out of balance not the tire brand fault, it was a exedra 190/60/17
Tire Wheel Automotive tire White Synthetic rubber

1 - 20 of 28 Posts