Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am in the Midwest region and I plan to do some local riding (<50 miles per week) in the winter as well (not while it snows/icy but temperatures wont hopefully stop me). My front tire has cracks and I need to get it changed. I was looking for some good reasonably priced suggestions.

I have a 06 Vstar custom with 100/90 - 19 as the stock size option for the front tire.

Currently I have looks at D404 Dunlop and MT66 (Pirelli).? Is Shinko 777 any good? Any other suggestions would be helpful as well :)

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I have a VS 650. It originally had Bridgestone tires. I replaced them with a set of Dunlop tires and noticed the bike felt less stable and responsive.

Next time I put the OEM Bridgestone tires back on, and immediately could feel the difference. The factor is the weight of the tire. Your wheels act like gyroscopes, and the heavier the tire the stronger the effect.

I dont know if websites list the weight of the tires (not the "shipping weight") - but it is something to keep in mind. Motorcycles are self balancing. The more the tires weigh, the more stable the bike will feel, and it will have a more precise 'solid' feel when you countersteer the bike.

BTW, cheaper tires will not last as many miles as more expensive tires, and no matter how much the tire costs a shop charges you the same price to take the wheels off your bike and mount the tires. You dont really save much money with cheap tires, because you have to replace them more often.

If you can take the wheels off the bike yourself and just have them mount the tires you will save about half the shop fee.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I installed a set of Kenda Kruz tires on my 1100 this summer. They're slightly more than Shinko, but I did my research and all reviews on them were exceptional. So far I have about 4000 miles on them and there is virtually no visible wear. I'm hopefully expecting somewhere around 12000 - 15,000 miles before I need to replace them (according to current wear and reviews I've read). I looked at Dunlops (they were on it previously), along with Michelin and Metzler. The Kenda's were a little cheaper (both installed for $350 Canadian), but I recalled one person saying they aren't a cheap tire - they're an expensive tire at a low price. And after 4000 miles, I believe it. They handle great, too. The only downside is they don't make it in whitewall - no big deal.

I can't say how they'll handle in colder weather - I don't think motorcycle tire makers put a lot of thought into that. I did read that Michelin and Metzler use a harder compound to improve wear, which might not be so good when temps dip to around the freezing mark. Kenda may be the same, I don't know. I do know that when these wear out I'll be replacing them with another set though.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
metzler 880s worked better than kenda 673s the front 673 started cupping at 3,000 miles, the rear 673 has really deep thread, i'm going to put a metzler back on the front and leave the 673 kenda on the rear and see how it feels

·
Registered
54 Posts
metzler 880s worked better than kenda 673s the front 673 started cupping at 3,000 miles, the rear 673 has really deep thread, i'm going to put a metzler back on the front and leave the 673 kenda on the rear and see how it feels
How did that work out for you?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
if your tires are cupping its not the fault of the tire

its your wheel bearings, steering head bearings, shocks, or your rear wheel is not aligned in the frame.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
if your tires are cupping its not the fault of the tire

its your wheel bearings, steering head bearings, shocks, or your rear wheel is not aligned in the frame.
the metzler 880 never cupped then a kenda went on and cupped in no time then a commander 2 went on and that never cupped even after 4 thousand and the suspension and or wheel or head bearing were never touched between changes. i think softer tire compounds and air pressure might have something to do with it

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Low air pressure will definitely cause cupping.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
was looking thru the service manual for my royal star last night, the tire specs for my bike are

load 0 to 198 lbs: 36 front 36 rear
load 199 to max: 36 front 41 rear

funny that if you weigh one pound more than 198, you increase the rear tire by 5 psi

Im sure its not that touchy... but Im pumping my rear tire up from 36 to 41 today.

·
Super Moderator
4,498 Posts
was looking thru the service manual for my royal star last night, the tire specs for my bike are

load 0 to 198 lbs: 36 front 36 rear
load 199 to max: 36 front 41 rear

funny that if you weigh one pound more than 198, you increase the rear tire by 5 psi

Im sure its not that touchy... but Im pumping my rear tire up from 36 to 41 today.
You are giving away how much you weigh. 😃

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Im not trying to hide how much I weigh... not at all

my weight is 23.32 dBpounds re 1 lb @ the equator....

(engineers work in orders of magnitude :^)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts