Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my V-Star 1100 about 2 1/2 years ago after being off a bike for about 20 years. Love the bike, but the front tire does not last on it. Bike tracks straight. It has Pirellis on it. replaced both last January, The front is nearly worn out but the back still looks new. The front is worn a little more on the left side of the tire than the right. When I bought it the front was worn out but the back still had decent tread on it & they were Pirellis also. Never seen this before, Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Bevo is on the right track. Pirellis are great tires and stick to the road. They are manufactured with a softer rubber compound that has a tendency to wear out faster. I had a set on one of my cars and after only 18 months of use had to change them out. Like I said great tires but at a price.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would look at different brands as well.

While i've had good luck out of the Metzlers i bought. (tire pressure is critical to keep them from wearing unevenly)
Some of my friends haven't.

I've been hearing good things about michelin comander 2

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bought my V-Star 1100 about 2 1/2 years ago after being off a bike for about 20 years. Love the bike, but the front tire does not last on it. Bike tracks straight. It has Pirellis on it. replaced both last January, The front is nearly worn out but the back still looks new. The front is worn a little more on the left side of the tire than the right. When I bought it the front was worn out but the back still had decent tread on it & they were Pirellis also. Never seen this before, Any ideas?
I don't know that much about how well Pirellis tires wear, but this sounds like you may have other issues going on. I really can't think of anytime a front tire would wear out before a rear tire. You can ussually expect the front tire to last 2 rear tire changes. I think I'd check some of these things:
tire balance, bent wheels
worn wheel bearings
worn forks parts
different oil levels in forks,
steering head bearings
triple tree alignment

You didn't say what year or miles you had, but I'm assuming you bought it used. Previous owner could have had an accident that damaged any of the components mentioned, taken something apart and not put it back together correctly, or parts wore out and maintenance not kept up on bike.

·
Registered
570 Posts
rs1300 has the right approach. I run exclusively on Pirellis and I love them. I get great milage, 12 to 15 k on back and more on front. I also use dynobeads in both rear and front to keep them balanced. I don´t like the lead weight on the rim. so check out everything before you blame the tires. And let us know what you find.
Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bike is a 2004 V-Star classic. Got 31000 mi. on it now. Previous owner kept detailed records & bike was very well maintaned which is why I bought it. No accidents, The front tire had 12000 miles on it when I replaced it, the rear was still in good shape but I replaced them both at the same time. front now has 6000 mi. on it, might make it another 2. Bike has aluminum wheels on it & are not bent. I have checked the entire front of the bike & it checks out fine. I'm going to put another Pirelli on it & then change to Metzlers on the next change & try that. Tire pressure is checked before I leave the house every time. ????????

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a yamaha v star 650 2012 model and I had to replace my front tire @ 5000 miles! I did not replace it with stock Dunlop tire, I bought a Michelin replacement. The rear stock tires looks fine tho.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts