Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1100 Classic developed a front end wobble when decelerating. It's one of those wobbles that appear if you're not holding the bars tight.
I assumed it was my tire, as it was quite worn and due for a change.

I put a new tire and tube and installed dyna beads. Still wobbles.
I installed new wheel bearings. The wobble seems less severe but still there. Before the bearings it would wobble slowing down at any speed, now it seems to start around 40mph.
I checked for play at the steering head and there's none. I even tightened them a little, no change.
What's left? Brakes?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do you have spoke rims? If so, check for a loose spoke or two. A buddy I ride with had the same problem as you and it turned out he had a broken spoke. He fixed the spoke and the wobble went away.
If one was broke, you probably would have noticed that when changing the tire. But loose spokes can cause the same problem.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you have inner tubes I had a hope when decelerating. I used dyna beads on a old tube and it must have been sticky in there. New tube and dyna beads and problem is fixed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have spoke rims? If so, check for a loose spoke or two. A buddy I ride with had the same problem as you and it turned out he had a broken spoke. He fixed the spoke and the wobble went away.
If one was broke, you probably would have noticed that when changing the tire. But loose spokes can cause the same problem.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks, I'll check out the spokes and see if any are loose.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gave each spoke several taps and went around the rim 3 times. they all sound the same. I couldn't detect any that seemed loose.
Next up I guess is having someone ride next to me and look for a bent rim.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I gave each spoke several taps and went around the rim 3 times. they all sound the same. I couldn't detect any that seemed loose.
Next up I guess is having someone ride next to me and look for a bent rim.
take the 10 min to take your front wheel off, take it to the local motorcycle shop and pay the $10 to have it balanced...

·
Registered
90 Posts
The old tire wobbled, the new tire with dyna beads wobbles....why would it be a balance issue?
It seems as if every other option has been exhausted. Also when they put it on the machine they will be able to see a bend in the rim if that is in fact the issue.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems as if every other option has been exhausted. Also when they put it on the machine they will be able to see a bend in the rim if that is in fact the issue.
true...although you'd think a bent rim would wobble at all speeds?
I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
90 Posts
true...although you'd think a bent rim would wobble at all speeds?
I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.
Not necessarily...if it is only a slight bend/flat in the rim higher speeds would pick it up causing the rim to bounce putting some shake into the bars.

Theoretically speaking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts