Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired a 2014 Roadliner. I noticed that the front tire rotation is wrong. That brings up a couple of questions ...1) Can the wheel just be removed and flipped to reverse the rotation? and 2) If so, is it necessary to remove the calipers, as the service manual states? I ask because, on my previous (single rotor) bike, I could simply jack the bike up, drop the wheel out, then pry the brake pads apart a bit to reinstall, without removing the caliper.

Great forum here. It's already greatly sped up my learning curve..

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm not sure about a Roadliner but wouldn't the speedometer drive be on the wrong side ?

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
it can be difficult to get the wheel lined up perfectly to lift it up with the rotors into the calipers

it only takes a minute to pull the two bolts out - you will spend more time fussing with the wheel trying to get it back on - esp with dual front brakes

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I would think that you might have a problem with the cords breaking in the tire if you changed rotation with a single rotation tire. That is why when you rotate tires on your car you don't switch sides anymore. My brother in law blew up the cords on his goodyear wranglers once switching direction.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
You have to remove both calipers, they hang up on the rim. Second there is no speedo drive on the roadliner/stratoliner front wheel and yes you can flip the wheel you will need a 19 mm allen wrench to remove the front wheel, I found one at home depot that is a rachet drive. If you ever want to remove the back wheel it requires a 27 mm wrench or socket, if you use a socket you have to remove the muffler, with a wrench you don't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great info. Any other opinions on Deekvstarclassic's comments on reversing tire rotation? Makes me wonder about which is the greater risk - possibly breaking the cords or being less safe on wet roads.There is about 1300 miles on that tire, if that makes any difference. As for a reversed tire not channeling the water efficiently, I only ride in the rain when I get caught, and then I ride like an old man (which I am, incidentally).

As I said in my OP, great forum!

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
the tread pattern has a direction to it

I dont know if the cords are wound in a pattern as well

as long as the bike has not been repeatedly braked hard, I cant imagine the front tire being under any stress - its not like you can lock up the brakes on the front wheel - more than once....

if the cords are wound in a specific direction I would rather have them in the right direction

in Deeks example the tires on the jeep were originally on the right side, and then moved to the wrong side and thats where they failed

(BTW I have never heard of directional spin tires on cars - how does that work? Under braking the force is backwards, under acceleration the force is the other way - on a jeep this is true on all four wheels - how does the tire know whats what?!)

·
Super Moderator
3,554 Posts
My snow tires are directional, but I think it has to do with the tread pattern so the snow cleans out efficiently.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
279 Posts
I'm still new here and waiting on my Strat, thus I have no idea about your wheel. But I may have some insight on the tire, not the wheel.

On several other forums I am on, I am seeing many folks using a rear tire of the correct size for a front tire and placing it backwards on the front. The idea is that it gives you more traction than a regular front tire does. I realize this does not help answer your question, but I wonder if someone before you thought along these lines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts