Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm doing a carb clean and broke one of the fuel cutoff solenoid wires taking off the carb. I'm reading with aftermarket pipes that I have (V&H) that I dont need them? Is that true? Those things are pricey. I came across a post that someone here named Mick makes a replacement setup? I was reading a post about the 1100. Not sure if its the same thing for the 650.
Thanks

2009 VStar 650

·
Registered
180 Posts
Are you sure that it is not the heater wire ? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the 98 has a cutoff.
They do have heaters, that only kick in below 40 degrees, so yea ,you don't need them.On the newer ones that have a cutoff, you have to remove them and plug the hole. Hope this helps .You can check the parts drawings to see if it is the heater with the broken wire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure that it is not the heater wire ? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the 98 has a cutoff.
They do have heaters, that only kick in below 40 degrees, so yea ,you don't need them.On the newer ones that have a cutoff, you have to remove them and plug the hole. Hope this helps .You can check the parts drawings to see if it is the heater with the broken wire.
Thanks for the reply. I corrected myself. Its a 2009. Was working on my 98 truck and had that on my mind. I ordered a solenoid removal kit from MaxAir. Hope it works out. After some searching it seems I could just solder the wire back on the solenoid but for the price I figure I'd just eliminate it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I corrected myself. Its a 2009. Was working on my 98 truck and had that on my mind. I ordered a solenoid removal kit from MaxAir. Hope it works out. After some searching it seems I could just solder the wire back on the solenoid but for the price I figure I'd just eliminate it
I have one of those kits in my 650, it works fine. But if you try to re-solder the wire, the system could be back to work. Just remove the top rubber, exposing the terminal. Solder the wire and that inconvenient light on the panel will shut off (the only boring thing about these solenoids fail is this checking engine light that won't turn off).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts