Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
12,126 Posts
I wouldn't, it keep fuel from sloshing out around fuel cap. Why would you want to remove yours?

Reactions: NavyJuiceStar

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
I wouldn't

·
Registered
2006 Road Star 1700A
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't, it keep fuel from sloshing out around fuel cap. Why would you want to remove yours?
Bought used like this 3 days ago, in my 950 I wanted to do this for long trips (fuller tank, quicker fill).

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
12,126 Posts
Don't think the extra 30 seconds to fill tank would be worth it and possibly have gas seeping out onto hot engine and me.

·
Registered
685 Posts
On my Road Star I took a sharp cold chisel and cut a bit of a slot in it. It does help it vent when you get to the top of the tank and want to get that little extra bit in.

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
394 Posts
On my Road Star I took a sharp cold chisel and cut a bit of a slot in it. It does help it vent when you get to the top of the tank and want to get that little extra bit in.
I did the same thing on my 650. When it got close to full, it would start spitting gas back up out of the opening. With the vent slot it doesn't do that.
I only fill it above the neck when I'll burn it off right away. Usually when traveling.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My RSV was very slow in filling. Some of the times I realized I did not get it full. I took an awl and poked holes around the neck to help vent air while filling. Now it fills much more reliable.

·
Registered
2006 Road Star 1700A
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did the same thing on my 650. When it got close to full, it would start spitting gas back up out of the opening. With the vent slot it doesn't do that.
I only fill it above the neck when I'll burn it off right away. Usually when traveling.
Just filled Roadie up today, and oh man what a difference in the way it fills up, compared to 950 with block still installed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have found that the new 'eco-friendly' nozzles prevent me from fully filling my bikes' fuel tanks, as well as filling gas cans. AFA the bikes are concerned, I found a wheel and bearing from the plastic chain of some equipment at work that is @ 2" thick. I just plop that over the gas filler opening, insert the nozzle, and can pretty much fill my bikes' tanks. When not in use, I just drop it into the saddlebags.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts