Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some wisdom. I recently purchased an '04 V Star 1100 Silverado with 12k miles on it. It had some popping and back firing that I didn't think was right, so I read some forums and the concensus was that it needed jetting. So I decided that if I'm going to change jets I may as well put on a hyper charger as well. The installation seemed to go well and it noticeably increased power. I still had just a little back firing so I tried to adjust primary mixing screws, which was a nightmare. Eventually I began smelling gas and would see it blowing out of my front cylinder exhaust pipe. I took the carbs off several times to check everything, and I swapped the power valve and needles from carb to carb to see if it made any difference. It did not, and the front cylinder head still fills with gas, even ran down into the exhaust. My next approach would be to soak the carbs and try to adjust the floats. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to properly level the floats? Or any other suggestions?
Thanks,

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought an '03 Road Star back in August, and I've had a similar experience with it. Mine "overflows" after sitting for a few minutes if it's extremely hot. It's like the fuel in the bowl "boils" and floods the engine. It has done this twice since I've had it, both times in very hot ambient temps. I bought a jet kit and am planning on an air cleaner mod this winter. The bike had sat at the previous owners for close to a year, only started every couple of months, and not ridden. I took the bowl off and found some trash in it, so I'm figuring at least some of the issue is dirt/crud inside the carb too. Just waiting til I decide on an air cleaner to tear into it. I've plugged the AIS for now, that stopped my popping/backfire, and I've got a Maxair AIS removal kit to install so I can get rid of it completely. Any other ideas floating around out there??

·
Registered
456 Posts
Could be your needle and seat is sticking on the front carb. I've had that issue before on other bikes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts