Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2000 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Jury came back this morning with their decision...
Jury:
" We, the jury in the case of Yamaha Owners versus Fuel Leak, find Fuel Leak GUILTY on the charge of concealing evidence of a crime, misleading the jury with intent, and generally being disrespectful to The Court. An immediate apology will be submitted by The Defendant (Fuel Leak) to The Plaintiff (Yamaha Owners) who, with a desire to see this through, offered opinions and suggestions in an attempt to obtain a successful outcome in these proceedings. We find that The Defendant did disregard all offerings from The Plaintiff, and furthermore did it's best to conceal from The Court evidence that had a direct effect on the outcome of these proceedings. We ask The Court to disregard The Defendant's claim of "I didn't know" and to impose a penalty reflecting The Defendant's disregard for the opinion of The Plaintiff and The Court."

Judge:
" I hereby order The Defendant to STOP LEAKING IMMEDIATELY" and to further ensure that no leaks will occur for a period of 3 to 5 years. The Court thanks The Jury for it's patience in this case. You are now dismissed. This Court stands adjourned."

And now, as they say, the rest of the story. My thanks to all who joined in on this thread. The offending culprit in this leak was..
wait for it...
wait for it...

The fuel nipple in the petcock. (This is where some of you can say "see...I told you"). In my previous checks of that tube, I was unable to get it to move with just my finger grip, and didn't really want to yank it out of it's home. However, with the aid of a bright light and some channel-locks, I was able to see some movement in the tube with fairly slight pressure of the improved grip on the tube. After a couple of light twists it basically slid right out.

Now for The Fix...I cleaned up the tube and the body of the petcock with Scotchbrite and smeared a light coat of JB Weld on the tube. When the tube was gently pushed/tapped into place some of the JB Weld squeezed out around the tube to form a neat little O-ring. After letting it set overnight, I attached the fuel hose and hit the road. Several days and a few hundred miles later everything is still dry (as of this morning).馃憤馃

Kudos to The Plaintiffs who offered various tips and ideas for this... especially the Petcock People. Apologies for not seeing this solution sooner....although it was literally right in front of me I dismissed it because "I already checked that". If I was one to quote famous people it would sound like "Pride Goeth Before The Fall"..........but I don't so I won't.

Cheers...
Papa Fred

Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
Really glad you found the issue and back safely on the road. It's much better than the alternative!!

Super Moderator
Glad the Jury found in your favor, obviously it was a unanimous decision based on the facts and evidence presented to jury. Justice does still prevail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
You know a new petcock is only about $10 .

Super Moderator
Jspree, It's not about the petcock. It's about " The case of Yamaha Owners versus Fuel Leak " Now all he has to do is find that decal.

Reactions: Jspree

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know a new petcock is only about $10 .
I looked at a few petcocks on-line...couldn't find one with an original, or even original "looking", lever. They looked kinda cheap, but I'll look into that more if needed. For now all it cost me (besides the quarters in the Swear Jar) was about 1/4 inch of JB Weld. Acceptable.

Registered
The OEM petcocks are kind of pricey, I am cheap, if it turns the gas on an off and doesn't leak it works for me
And if someone is looking at your petcock, tell them they need to buy you dinner first.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The OEM petcocks are kind of pricey, I am cheap, if it turns the gas on an off and doesn't leak it works for me
And if someone is looking at your petcock, tell them they need to buy you dinner first.
I'm usually pretty cheap too, but a good dinner and a great wine is a good opening pitch. 馃槑

1 - 9 of 9 Posts