Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Road Star Silverado 1700. When the bike is hot and I stop and shut it off even for just a few minuets when I turn it back on it sometimes pours fuel out of the breather box and all over the engine. I does not even have to be started just turn the key and the fuel pump is on and here comes the fuel. Sometimes it just is just a little and other times it seems like it is not going to stop. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem with my 07 Roadstar, the dealer adjusted the float on the carb, haven`t had a problem since

·
Registered
146 Posts
2006 Road Star Silverado 1700. When the bike is hot and I stop and shut it off even for just a few minuets when I turn it back on it sometimes pours fuel out of the breather box and all over the engine. I does not even have to be started just turn the key and the fuel pump is on and here comes the fuel. Sometimes it just is just a little and other times it seems like it is not going to stop. Any ideas?
I had the same problem with my 07 Roadstar, the dealer adjusted the float on the carb, haven`t had a problem since
Hmmmm...

If your bike is carbureted, I don't believe that you have a fuel pump. Carbs are gravity fed fuel from the tank above. There are a few exceptions to the rule like ST1100's and a few other bikes where the fuel tank is under the seat and the fuel has to be pumped up to the carbs. I don't think this is the case with yours.

If the fuel metering needle, attached to the float, isn't seating properly in the valve seat (due to maybe having sat up without running for awhile and having the fuel evaporate, leaving varnish behind to gum things up or even a small particle of debris stuck to the valve seat) or if the float has developed a leak and has filled with fuel and has sunk, fuel just might be able to get past the needle valve and overflow the float bowl. The vent for the float bowl is more than likely in the venturi of the carb so when it overflows, it will manifest itself right where you say it does.

Another place to look for a probable cause would be the fuel tank vent. If the vent is plugged, when the engine is hot, the heated fuel in the tank will build up pressure, and it will seek an escape route. One possible route could be past your needle valve, overflowing the float bowl and out the carb vent again.

Good luck Amigo

FS

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Even carb'd bikes have fuel pumps now days to help keep the flow more consistent. More tech to complicate things for us simple folk.
My 1100 has one, turn the key and listen to it click for a minute before starting the bike

·
Registered
146 Posts
Agree with most but I think Roadstars do have a fuel pump. Gravity must not be strong enough. Float and valve are still good info.

http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/65/96/

Take a look here see if it helps scroll down to carbs.

http://roadstarclinic.com/component/option,com_samsitemap/Itemid,179/

Dave
Even carb'd bikes have fuel pumps now days to help keep the flow more consistent. More tech to complicate things for us simple folk.
My 1100 has one, turn the key and listen to it click for a minute before starting the bike
I stand corrected. I learn something new everyday.

Well in that case, there must be a fuel pressure regulator between the pump and the carbs. It might even be adjustable. I'd test the pressure to see if it's within specs.

FS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for all the advice. It's really good info. I think we may have fixed it, frat strat was right. The bike had been sitting at the dealer and I have no idea how long. we pulled the carb and opend up the bowl and cleaned it all good with sray carb cleaner and that must have been all it needed was to clean the old varnished gas out of it. there has been no re-occurance of it pouring fuel since. just keeping fingers crossed, we didn't remove any thing in the carb except the bowl. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My brother-n-law took a 6k mile ride in June/July and had this exact thing happen. It only happened in weather over 100*f.

Last week, some friends of mine and I took a little three day ride around Washington, and what do ya know....it happened to me too! It only happened when temps were in the triple digits. The first time we had stopped for a swim in the river, and upon restart, the fuel pump just kept pumping when I turned the key on, and we could all smell fuel coming from my bike. I turned the key off and tried it again, and it was like normal, the pump did it's thing for a few seconds and quit. However, the bike was already flooded. So, position throttle to WFO and crank until it fires, spits, sputters, takes off and blows black smoke, and then runs normally. It happened every time we stopped unless I fired the bike right back up within a minute. There has to be something that can be done about this, as it's obviously NOT an isolated problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts