Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my new stratoliner s sat. and i have a questions. if i put a cobra 2000r fuel proccessor on it can i burn 89 octane gas?

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
just got my new stratoliner s sat. and i have a questions. if i put a cobra 2000r fuel proccessor on it can i burn 89 octane gas?

You don't need to put on a fuel processor to burn 89 octane, nor will the expense (if that's the only reason you're putting it on) be justifiable as you'd basically have to re-map it to "detune" your engine performance in the attempt to have it run as cool as it would using the recommended higher octanes, and I doubt you'd be successful in any event. I'm sure you wouldn't be happy.

The higher octane lets your engine run cooler, but a steady diet of 89 won't hurt it. I go out of my way to find 91 or 92 octane, but it's getting very rare, so my Strat S pretty much has to live on E-10 89 octane with its original ECM and it's passed through 20,000 miles without a hiccup.

Good luck:)

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
WOW, 2 for 2!
A reply with actual value. He's a poser I tell you! :D:D:D:D
Now just stop. You'll give all the newcomers an absolute wrong impression.

Of the top 200 posters who give 100% reliable information 25% of the time, given 50/50 multiple choice answers with a 10% margin of error, I fall squarely within at least one standard deviation half the time.

:):)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Fuel processor

Bill,

I agree you do not need a fuel processor to change grades. If that were the only reason for changing it would take a long time to pay for the processor with what you saved on gas. But if you have not done anything to change the air flow in or out of the engine it probably is not needed.

I have always figured for the thirty to fourty cents I save per tank it is not worth changing fuel grade.

I have been seeing some discussions on another forum about Shell Premium gas. Claiming better mileage and no alcohol. Not real easy for me to get Shell so I have not tried it.

Dave

·
Registered
254 Posts
Shell in MI doesn't seem to be any different then other stations, they all seem to have corn syrup in them.
Plus only times I have been running premium now is when it's been above 90 for enough time riding that it will let it run bit cooler. Only difference when I don't have the premium in is when it is hot..... don't run it as hard and all seems fine...
I like it when you guys pick on each other though.. took a while reading back when getting on here...messing with each other. With friends like us who needs enemies.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
93 Posts
The reason high octane is called for is the high compression ratio of the engine. Yamaha raised the compression ratio to get the HP out of the engine. You risk knock by running lower octane on hot days or opening the throttle. You can putt around on lower octane if you keep the engine RPM up to avoid knock. BTW, the higher the octane number the slower the gas burns. With a bike running at lower RPM's such as these, a slower burn is more desirable anyway. Even at $0.10 difference in price/gal and these bikes hold 4.5 gal., that's only a $0.45 savings if you are fully empty. I usually put 3 gals in when filling up. I would save only $0.30 to maybe as high as $0.60 per fill-up, not worth the risk of knocking the hell out of the lower end for a few pennies, plus I can open it up w/o fear of hurting the engine.

Do what you want but the high octane is for the high compression.
What's a few more pennies when putting $12-16 in? Just not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
9.48 to 1 really isn't THAT much compression in todays world,,,

The high operating temp of an air cooled engine is a factor.

Mine will run just fine on 87, but will ping just a bit during 5th gear WOT runs. It gets 89 now.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
9.48 to 1 really isn't THAT much compression in todays world,,,

The high operating temp of an air cooled engine is a factor.

Mine will run just fine on 87, but will ping just a bit during 5th gear WOT runs. It gets 89 now.

Interesting. I've never had mine ping (running E-10, 89 most of the time as 91/2 is getting rarer than a Yamaha in a repair shop:)). But then I never make a rolling power demand on the engine unless it's at least at the low end of its power band 2000-2200rpm. Operator gear selection plays a huge role in engine longevity. ;)

My GL1500SE called for 91 octane but most always dined on 87 unleaded as the higher octanes are not readily available, and Goldwings have miles of rubber fuel/vacuum tubing that does not respond well to prolonged exposure to alcohol (ethanol). At 114,000 miles it still didn't use any oil and ran perfectly. I would expect given decent care by its new owner, it will effortlessly join the ranks of 250,000 mile+ Wings.

I've never considered price a factor in fuel selection. If I can find the manufacturers' recommended octane I'll use it. Most often however, those of us that tour are at the mercy of whatever fuel is available when the orange light comes on...:(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
being hearing impaired i can't hear pinging anymore. i prefer the lower octane because of the slight horse power advantage with the faster burn rate. i have had 4 cobra proccessors on my other bikes and 2 pcIII"s. they all improved fuel delivery and tractability. i was just wondering if anyone noticed an improvement on the strat. price is not a factor. i know these bikes are ultra lean because of pollution standards. which in turn cause higher engine temps and pinging. the lean mixture is not as noticible on the strat. basically i'm wanting the perfect fuel air ratio, and the ability to run the lower octane fuel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Interesting. I've never had mine ping (running E-10, 89 most of the time as 91/2 is getting rarer than a Yamaha in a repair shop:)). But then I never make a rolling power demand on the engine unless it's at least at the low end of its power band 2000-2200rpm. Operator gear selection plays a huge role in engine longevity. ;)

I agree, no low RPM WOTs here,,,I'm talking 3500-5k+ rpm WOT = ping w/87

My GL1500SE called for 91 octane but most always dined on 87 unleaded as the higher octanes are not readily available, and Goldwings have miles of rubber fuel/vacuum tubing that does not respond well to prolonged exposure to alcohol (ethanol). At 114,000 miles it still didn't use any oil and ran perfectly. I would expect given decent care by its new owner, it will effortlessly join the ranks of 250,000 mile+ Wings.

I've never considered price a factor in fuel selection. If I can find the manufacturers' recommended octane I'll use it. Most often however, those of us that tour are at the mercy of whatever fuel is available when the orange light comes on...:(
Octane requirements listed by the MFG and those actually required under 'most' circumstances can vary. The Mfg will never recommend something that works 'most' of the time, but not always,,, Air cooled engine run hot,,, very hot compared to watercooled,,, Screaming Hot internal parts can lead to pre-ignition.

Octane is , in a nutshell, resistance to ignition. Best fuel economy and least carbon build up will come with running the lowest octane the engine can handle w/o pre-ignition/detonation. (Yeah, lots of carbon complaints w/XV-19,,, the fuel itself is partially to blame)

No 91 here, it's 93, 89, or 87. Tried the 87, ran fine other than as stated above. Running 89 now.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi Snarley,
Just my opinion.... they run fine without Fuel Processors different then stock. The stock keeps the leaner line that the stars like. I feel the popping that I get which isn
't often anyway is like one of those race cars with the popping and flames coming out of there exhaust on race tracks(not the ones that go round in circles but the road racers)
here is some reading. you might like FX Steins blogs on posting on fuel for the star

http://www.fxstein.com/blog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=39&blogId=1

http://www.fxstein.com/blog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=48&blogId=1

he posts this on one of the blogs............
The AF ratio represents the mixture between air and fuel. For gasoline operated engines the optimal fuel efficiency AF ratio is 14.7:1 - thats 14.7 parts of air and 1 part of gasoline/fuel. Most modern engines however produce maximum power at 13.2:1. So what's the deal with these metrics?

Ride Safe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
these are very interesting and good responces to my original question. my next question is do you have a fuel proccessor and what improvements have you noticed?

·
Registered
254 Posts
If it's a list or just for me that you ask. No I do not use an aftermarket fuel processor.
Did the slip on exhaust, K&N filter Cover off mod., reset the ECU. And have been running it. Pops once in a while. but runs very nice, so far. It popped a little with the stock exhaust setup but you can't hear it as easy with the muffler being so quiet.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the reason why i am asking about the fuel proccessor is i have one on my 1300 v-star, and my nomad 1600. both bikes ran like crap from day one and the nomad required 91 octane. the cobra 2000r made a 100% improvement in both bikes and the nomad now runs fine on 87 octane. overall performance was greatly improved on both bikes. my strat runs great but i think a cobra 2000r will improve performance and safely allow me to burn 87 octane. since i can't hear when it pings i want to play it safe and richen the mixture slightly. preignition in time will destroy an engine. being as deaf as i am, i don't want to take that chance. therefore i was interested in the results, and improvements people realized with a fuel proccessor, to justify the need for one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ok I see. totally understand that... The Liners just like the RoadStars... basically like the power from the leaner end of the curve. They run great rich but if you ride easy and aren't giving it all she has just loads up and causes different group of trouble down the road. Most that have fuel processors they run richer and little cooler. those that don't have issue with controller, like some of the PC3's have had that mid range, stuttering issue. Usually just get poor fuel economy. But if you ride like you stole it they seem happy. Mine doesn't seem to have any power loss with the stock ECU. Been getting ok fuel Economy, but can twist the wrist and have on occasion and eco goes down, power still there... haven't had any races but those that have tried I can pull on them very easy.
That's been me, trying to justify the need, and all seems good with it and haven't decided to get one. Did the reset(battery disconnect) when I did the pipe and air filter. After letting it get warm checked exhaust bolts and they tightened little bit, no air leaks and the popping that is not too often but I have gotten it. hasn't been enough to scare me into getting processor yet. Also did the clutch switch unplugged, and 99% of popping is gone that route. But fuel eco was lowered in my low 40's on easy riding and mid 30's riding harder. Only thing that can't be done with unplugged is start in gear when clutch pulled. I ran few tanks that way and ended up plugging it back in as like I said popping is not often so why bother with fuel eco on the weaker end. I have almost 10,000 on this bike and all seems good. I have put over 5,000 on it since mothers day this year. Trying to get my groove back.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I see. totally understand that... The Liners just like the RoadStars... basically like the power from the leaner end of the curve. They run great rich but if you ride easy and aren't giving it all she has just loads up and causes different group of trouble down the road. Most that have fuel processors they run richer and little cooler. those that don't have issue with controller, like some of the PC3's have had that mid range, stuttering issue. Usually just get poor fuel economy. But if you ride like you stole it they seem happy. Mine doesn't seem to have any power loss with the stock ECU. Been getting ok fuel Economy, but can twist the wrist and have on occasion and eco goes down, power still there... haven't had any races but those that have tried I can pull on them very easy.
That's been me, trying to justify the need, and all seems good with it and haven't decided to get one. Did the reset(battery disconnect) when I did the pipe and air filter. After letting it get warm checked exhaust bolts and they tightened little bit, no air leaks and the popping that is not too often but I have gotten it. hasn't been enough to scare me into getting processor yet. Also did the clutch switch unplugged, and 99% of popping is gone that route. But fuel eco was lowered in my low 40's on easy riding and mid 30's riding harder. Only thing that can't be done with unplugged is start in gear when clutch pulled. I ran few tanks that way and ended up plugging it back in as like I said popping is not often so why bother with fuel eco on the weaker end. I have almost 10,000 on this bike and all seems good. I have put over 5,000 on it since mothers day this year. Trying to get my groove back.
Ride Safe
please explain resetting the ecu, and the clutch wire unplug. i'm not familiar with that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
resetting the ECU. Just disconnect battery then reconnect after few minutes. Helps it reset itself instead of waiting for it to relearn changes from O2 sensor.(New Pipe, K&N cover off mod). After 5 minutes of idle and off I went testing changes.
On another forum other techy guys found that the clutch switch for some reason makes ECU run little different when it's unplugged. For some it eliminated the stalling issue, and helps is run litl richer curbing the popping on decel. For mine it would literally eliminate popping I would get that engine popping only when downshifting exiting freeway like I do in my stick shift mustang. Was trying to force it to decel pop. That was the best I could get from it. Give it a try. Like I said only thing you can't do is start in gear, if it stalled... knock on wood haven't stalled it except when nursing it around in driveway...lol...
Ride Safe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
am really interested in the new fi 2000 powrtune from cobra. any one got one? may go for that if it is good as cobra claims.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro tuner has been out for a few weeks for the the M109's. No real bad reviews yet. Everyone seems to be happy. There are some available in stores for 'liners now,,, Have not heard of any 'liner with one installed,,,
I've got it on my 'sort list',,,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts