Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last several days, I do not get the sound of the fuel pump cycling when I power up the bike. With that said, it starts and runs fines (I usually start on full choke) as I am riding about every other day. I understand the fuel pump fills the bowls, so maybe they're already full but that doesn't explain why for the last 6 years I always heard the pump at least on the first start of the day.

If the pump is shot, do I run the risk of having issues (running lean) with low fuel in the tank as the static head will be down, or trouble starting the bike if it sits for a week where evaporation of gas in the bowls might occur.

I searched and found an older Roadstar post that says the fellow removed the pump without issues. So, is the pump required, or is gravity feed always sufficient? A new OEM pump is about $170 (won't break the bank) and install looks simple. I assume a check of fuses is in order first in any case.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should've thought of the Wiki! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
T0 confirm it's the pump, you can disconnect it at the terminal, disconnect outlet side add a hose to it and use a jumper wire
at is terminal. +++ to blue/black, --- to the black. if it pumps, then it's a good pump.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
T0 confirm it's the pump, you can disconnect it at the terminal, disconnect outlet side add a hose to it and use a jumper wire
at is terminal. +++ to blue/black, --- to the black. if it pumps, then it's a good pump.
Thanks. I'll probably run it as is and wait for a cold and rainy weekend. Its been some great riding in central CT over the last 4 weeks. I'm just glad it starts and runs (for now), but I will definitely check and replace if bad.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The answer to the question, ". . . or trouble starting the bike if it sits for a week where evaporation of gas in the bowls might occur?" is "Yes".

Starting on full choke the bike starts and dies after 10 seconds.
Coming off the choke or applying any slight throttle movement within those 10 seconds, and the bike dies.
Moving the choke off the full-choke position and the bike does not fire.

Tank is nearly full. Weather is outstanding. Leaves are in full color. This sucks!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuel pump arrived today (nice surprise as tracking said next Tuesday). Paid $60 for lightly used pump. Had to change connector. Swapped out old, problem solved.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Is there any info on whether running the main tank empty can harm the fuel pump on a motorcycle?

I know in a car the fuel cools the pump and running the tank empty is discouraged.
The manual for my Ford Fusion actually says when the range indicator is on zero you have a gallon left, but dont run that fuel out unless absolutely necessary.

I usually flip to reserve on my VS before the motor starts to starve, but not always.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts