Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
My 2007 VStar 650 Midnight Custom started starting hard then wouldn't start. Checking it out I came up with it needs a fuel pump. Yamaha wants $200 for a replacement pump. A company on Amazon "Caltric" has an aftermarket pump for $40. Has anyone used an aftermarket pump with good success? Is there a better place to purchase one?
Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello all
My 2007 VStar 650 Midnight Custom started starting hard then wouldn't start. Checking it out I came up with it needs a fuel pump. Yamaha wants $200 for a replacement pump. A company on Amazon "Caltric" has an aftermarket pump for $40. Has anyone used an aftermarket pump with good success? Is there a better place to purchase one?
Thanks
I have a few stock ones sitting around you can have for cheap. PM me.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
I dont know if this is a thing or not: when I got my bike the previous owner said he normally flips the tank over at 200 miles. I can just get a bit further than that before it starts sputtering.

I did not know my bike had a fuel pump till recently. Is it safe to assume (like a car) that its not a good idea to let the main tank run dry and then flip to the reserve? I cant imagine any fuel pump likes to suck air.

If it really is an issue I will start flipping to reserve at 190 miles. I always stop within a few miles anyway. I have run 240 miles on both sides on a long trip, but as a general rule once I flip it, I stop for gas ASAP.

I ran a bike empty many years ago at 2AM on a sunday night in the middle of a residential area. Never want to do that again. Fortunately a nice guy was taking out his trash, and I asked him nicely if he had a gas can in his garage with a quart of fuel...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts