Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2007 1100 last week. Is it normal that every time you turn the key to "On" from "Off" to hear noise for 2 - 3 seconds? Assuming it is the fuel pump / Ignition system doing it's thing. Difficult to describe the sound but it is kind of a combination of clacking, crackle. As I said it's only for a few seconds then terminates. Bikes starts and runs great. Every veh makes some sounds when you turn the key to the on position, it just seems a bit more pronounced on my bike than what I'm used to. Normal right?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
on my 650 its more of a hum that drops in frequency

i think it runs till it builds pressure, or maybe it runs all the time and just quiets down after a few seconds

if your bike runs then its working

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,074 Posts
Yes, the noise is normal. The fuel pump on the 1100 is only used to keep the carb bowls full. Being a carb bike a feul pump is not needed except part of the fuel tank is below the carb bowls. The pump assists to fill the carbs. Many people actually take the pump off and as long as you have at least half a tank of fuel it works fine. The pump clicks for a few seconds each time you turn the key on to pressure the system. It does it when it's running, you just don't hear it.

·
2,371 Posts
Mine makes a clicking sound for a few seconds that sounds like what you described. As Les and KCW said, it's completely normal. I usually wait until it stops before I hit the starter so the bowls are full and it's ready to go.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,074 Posts
and what happens when they drop below half a tank?
It takes a certain amount of pressure for fuel to flow to carb, lift the float off seat and allow fuel to fill the bowls. With the Vstar carbs being mounted high and fuel tank low there is not enough vertical difference to create the pressure. Most early motorcycles only operated on gravity feed system, but the carbs always set far enough below the tank so there was adequate pressure. You can actually get away with less than half a tank of fuel but the bike will start to stumble due to low fuel level in the bowls. Yamaha engineered the fuel pump into the carbed bikes to achieve adequate fuel pressure while being able to style the gas tank and Carb set up any way they wanted. Any low pressure fuel pump will work. I've installed low pressure fuel pumps on several 1100s as you can buy them for less than $20. Worked good long term, years. I've got several acquaintances that I've help keep some pretty old and rough bikes on the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts