Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 V-Star 1100 classic. The pump quit on me the other day and i really cant afford the 300 bucks for a new one from yamaha. I was woundering if i could use a aftermarket 4-7 psi car pump? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
422 Posts
As long as it has the same psi rating and you wire it correctly you can absolutely use a car fuel pump. An electric fuel pump is an electric fuel pump. The only differences are the psi rating and the mounting applications. If you can find one of similar dimensions you should be able to get it to work with relative ease.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that is what i thought. Now can anyone tell me what the right fuel pressure should be. I am thinking no more then 8 psi cause of it being carborated. any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what 2 yamaha dealers told me about the fuel pump and the pressure that comes out of it! " The pump is gravity feed and simply helps fuel get pushed up to the carbs, there is no set fuel pressure that is maintained." I have worked for many different auto places and i thought i had a pretty good understanding of fuel pumps but i guess you learn something new every day right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts